Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-30-2009

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Jandy, you must type really fast because you're awfully long winded on a product that isn't on the market yet.

Quote:
For sailing dog edification and everyone else's entertainment:

Sorry sailingdog, these commercial units are not on the market yet. But YOU know they are junk right? Is this true colors times??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2009
Cabin boy

JimHawkins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Jandy,

You are new here and we don't know much about you. The majority of your few posts have concerned the product you discuss above.

So I need to ask: Do you have any commercial interest in or connection to these 802Marine products?
I knew the Pollard would be on this one. Go get 'em John! Fair warning Jandy. The sailnet gurus will get you. And if he isn't banned for lying about his relationship to the product, he should be banned for being rude.
Old 03-30-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandy View Post
OR?? Cheapest is BEST - Right?? Oh crap, wrong Forum . . . . . I though this was for RV's . . . . . . . . .lol

TO QOUTE; "You're beginning to sound like an advertisement for the 802 marine products, which are overpriced junk IMHO. I'm also beginning to think you don't know what you're talking about, since Ubiqiti doesn't have a product called the Ubiqiti 5 AFAIK"

For sailing dog edification and everyone else's entertainment:

Sorry sailingdog, these commercial units are not on the market yet. But YOU know they are junk right? Is this true colors times??

You say "junk" Oh what's that inside?? The chip sets for both manufacturers, come from the same OEM. That would be, Atheros and the solder ball work for the mother boards, are the same OEM too. Hmmmmmm. Oh, that.

But I don't know what I am doing, just relying on stats on-line and experts words.

As "YOU" mentioned, the Ubiquiti Networks NanoStation I assumed you meant the 5, their best one not the 2) in your previous note, So, I took a look to see it on their site - and there it IS!!, little PoE thing, $79.00 Oh - and there's the 5 that does not exist and so it doesn't cost $89.00 (both available at hundreds of sites including XXXXX dot com)
The product is called the NanoStation 5, not the Ubiqiti 5, which is what you said. If you're not typing the full name, I don't see how any one is supposed to understand you.

I'd also point out that 5 GHz is preferred for outdoor solutions, as 5 GHz technology generally is far more easily attenuated by atmospheric conditions and is generally far shorter ranged than the 2.4 GHz equipment.

Quote:
And as you say only needs "one wire" and doesn't need the required 2 CAT5 ethernet cables, a PoE injector and a power supply they state in their specs. And although it does not exist, it is rated at 26dbM which is great, nice little unit. (IF it existed, as seen at their site under NaoStations)

the PASSPORT802.ULTRA's are $59.00 MSRP Which has no installation, USB plug and play. Completely different animal. Take it out of your pocket and plug it in, turn on your computer and go. 10 foot USB ext, no problem. It is not the same device or cost but does offers the ability to add an antenna via RP SMA for a little greater signal strength. These are FCC Certified; 28dBm

Maybe my math is different here but it seems that 59 is 30 less than 89.

PASSPORT802 is a 200mW is $39.99 USB plug and play, super compact, really convenient too - there are several out there like these. These are rated at FCC Certified; 23dBm

Also no set up, plug and play, USB and go anywhere IS NOT 2 ethernet cables and a PoE injector and an external power supply.
Yes, it is USB, but if you want to use it more than 16' from the computer, you need an amplfiied USB cable. You're basically ignoring what I wrote. I'd also point out that most of the driver issues that crop up are with the USB-based network equipment, and I doubt that these guys can avoid those same problems since no one else has. The Nanostation 2, which is the only product I've recommended, use an ethernet connection and installs NO DRIVERS... so it is even simpler in many ways.

Quote:
Now let's see $39.00 - $79.00, $39.00 - $79.00, $39.00 - $79.00 hmmmmm, oh well, I'll have to get back to this later - I need a calculator.

Different devices completely. So . . oh well.

I am sure these are all real good, but I have not seen anything that cheap with that power rating or convenience - thus I just thought I would talk about them. (but I don't have clue anyway)

And of course there's that Ubiquiti Networks SR71-USB WLAN !!! - at only $113.00

Let's see, I guess that's 5 times as much as the PASPORT802 ?? (lol, Sorry had to do it, just trying to imitate geo bush)
Again, you're comparing apples to oranges. Yes, the NanoStation2 is more expensive, but it does more... and works better.

Quote:
And how about that BBX gear folks?? THE GOOD STUFF!!

BBX - 500mW Client/ WLAN Bridge, ONLY $899.00, CAT5 ethernet PoE injector and the perverbial antenna extra required. 110V AC of course (now that's covenient) PoE CAT 5 cables, power supply, etc. INCLUDED!! (just a buck)

AND THE HIGH PRICE AWARD WINNER IS:

The BBX - 100mW USB unit for $89.00 !! A USB plug and play unit, nice and compact too, but really spendy for the what you get. ($40 all over the net and eBay too)
I didn't recommend the BBX, so you're pulling stuff out of your backside, just for the sake of argument.

Quote:
The "PORTSIDE802" I believe is marketed as a lesser cost commercial grade solution to the really expensive commercial duty boxes, not the little ones for in close in use and certainly not "hoist it up the mast" types And they have a built in router option and are AP configurable as servers. I think that's the PASSPORT units - little USB devices you should have been comparing to sailingdog. I don't see many Ubiquiti NanoStations or PicoStations pinned up on Marina roofs serving signals to hundreds of vessels or mounted on ClearWire, AT&T and SPRINT towers.

And for those who are interested, the engineers tell me the jumps between 500mW, 600mW up to 1,000mW are huge steps that require completely different chip sets for each of the incremental steps up. But what do they know. Engineers, phooey, what do they know. By the way, when I asked them about the chip sets, they said Ubiquiti products are real good stuff, just a different market and application focus and a little more expensive - but good stuff for their market. Am I promoting 802Marine stuff ?? I guess I am and let me ADD !!! FURUNO, MAXSEA, MAPTECH, ICOM, GPSNavX, XAXERO, GLOBAL MARINE NETWORKS, DIGITAL ANTENNA, MORAD, IRIDIUM, ANCOR, LINKSYS, HP, CARL ZEISS, NIKON and SONY-no bologna) !!! GOOD STUFF AND EXPENSIVE TOO. Oh yeah, PORT TOWNSEND SAILS TOO!!! THAT'S WHAT I HAVE ON MY BOAT. THAT'S WHAT I USE. I DO NOT USE GARMIN or SNOOGYLOOGY OR . . . .

BUT now, I hear mentioned a NEW previously UNMENTIONED device in the last post, the Ubiquiti PicoStation 2HP. And you just hoist it up the stick.

Now that's what I call convenient (lol)

Maybe you need to read a little closer, I did not compare or endorse or wish to "advertise" the PASSPORT802.ULTRA (but at the price, it's a great little device) BUT is not the same as the Ubiquiti 2 or 5 - as stated, different animal, different application.

I'll put it in my son's word's after he read this thread: "dude, 2 completely different products and applications . . . . . . " I will leave out the rest. Well, he's only 35 and a little wet behind the ears - but you otta see him type, pretty damn fast!

So since I don't know what I am talking about, I suggest people go to the Ubiquiti site and check out all of the products they make (that don't exist of course - good stuff for the market as far as I am told and as i can see)

As i said before: It's confusing and you need to look CLOSELY at the specs, and the prices. USB ?/ CAT 5 PoE?? external antenna, long range box or pocket take it with you when you go. Who are you and what do you need?? "I stay in the Marina", "I go out now and then", i am going coastal and inland", "I am blue water rigged, world traveling" Check em all out and config for budget and application..

As far as your (sailingdog's) weird statement "I do not know what I am talking about" i think what you mean is the manufacturers and engineers I talk to "don't know what THEY are talking about" I am just a consumer, and do not claim to an expert, just a hard core shopper with a with a boat and a high tech background in other completely unrelated passive audio electronics fields. Just a Note: I DO know this, you will find that I do not post a reply to every thread on every subject in every Forum category on the sailnet site.

Forums are cool and everything, but i am trying hard to have a life.

Oh well, I am happy, my PORTSIDE802 box works great and I have one single nice LMR400DB cable going out to the antenna just like my VHF and my DSLREPORTS DOT COM data throughput tests results are "rockin"!!! and i get signals everywhere i go up and down the greater Puget Sound region and up and down the Pacific Coast.

Safe sail all . . . .
From your rabid defense of the products that aren't even on the market, I'm guessing that you have some involvement greater than that of a beta tester. My background is in network engineering and I've been using the wireless equipment since Lucent first came out with their 900 MHz stuff, prior to the "WiFi" standard being ratified.

A Nanostation 2 and a Linksys WRT54G combined is about $120 or so, while the PORTSIDE802 you mention appears to retail for $500, according to the only website that actually mentions the product by name.

I also noticed that someone with the same user name has been posting about the PORTSIDE802 on Cruiser's Forum, which I doubt is a coincidence.

I'd also point out that the industry press generally hears about products that are worthwhile a few months in advance of their release and generally reviews them before they come out. Oddly, there have been no articles or reviews on any of the crap you're posting about—probably because it either doesn't exist or is actually someone else's hardware that is being re-marketed to the marine market at a significant price markup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-30-2009
Banned

jandy is on a distinguished road
Yep, you got me . .. .

Well I give up

Sorry, but I was given a box to use, but not money to use it. Just real happy with the results I achieved and thought I would share it and sorry again for "Channels" of course they are PORTS but I was not being as focused as i should have been.

I would love to rep these WiFi products though, nut they are a small company and have no room for an old man. i would not think of telling them to look at this thread though, they would not understand not being able to speak openly about products. everyone I know are live-aboard's and depend on the wireless platform, so, we all talk about what we find out and pass it on, in any subjects sailing and boating related.

The guys I met doing the marine products were wireless engineers for AT&T, ClearWire and SPRINT network stuff. The units they make are "commercial grade" Just wanted to talk about WiFi - sorry for sounding "commercial" I an expert at buying bad gear for high dollars. Guess there's a bunch of better gear than I could find, in my years of searching. I do wish they did paid me, but they did give me a box, so I guess that iI got paid.
Old 03-31-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Jandy,

You typed quite a bit last night, but I can't find where you directly answered my question concerning your commercial connection to this product.

We need to hear back from you on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Jandy,

You are new here and we don't know much about you. The majority of your few posts have concerned the product you discuss above.

So I need to ask: Do you have any commercial interest in or connection to these 802Marine products?

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 03-31-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-31-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
JRP—

I think he's in denial about his connection to the product. He says it isn't commercially available yet, yet still manages to defend it like the Knights Templar and Jerusalem. He's also not using any logical or rational argument to counter my points about his "hardware".

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-31-2009
Cabin boy

JimHawkins is on a distinguished road
John,
I think you should broaden your question to:

"Do you, your friends, or your relatives have any commercial interest..."
Old 03-31-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
It's difficult to make a decision to ban someone for misleading behaviour without a smoking gun but in a case like this I wonder whether he needs banning.

Let's face it SD has, in his own ubiquitous fashion , flayed the poor bugger within an inch of his life.

Or at least I think he has cos I don't really understand what either of them are talking about but I've found that in matters computer technical there is little to be gained from disagreeing with the Dog. It's a bit like arguing politics with Sway.

So have at him Dog. Thats if there is anything left to have.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 03-31-2009
Telstar 28

Hi Fuzzy...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-06-2009
Well-wisher

pschoonveld is on a distinguished road
Hey sailingdog,

Ubiquity's site wasn't terribly helpful, but I saw mention elsewhere that the NanoStation could run as a bridge or a repeater. Why would you need the LinkSys if it can run as a bridge.

I've been thinking about something like this for a bit and it looks like Ubiquity has a ton of options.