Yards or companies that do barrier coating in Annapolis area? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-30-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL... missed that... I'd be interested in seeing photos. Sodablasting is definitely the way to go if you're going to do this yourself. I wrote a good post on applying Interprotect 2000E previously:

Quote:
Alternating the colors helps a lot with determining where you've painted, but it is also very useful for helping you coat the areas around the boat stands. For instance:

The first layer is gray, since the gelcoat is white, and you can paint right up to the boat stand pads. Then you paint a layer of white, and leave about a two-inch margin of gray paint around the pads... then paint a layer a gray and leave a four-inch margin around the pads or about two-inches of white and two inches of gray showing...and then finish with a layer of white—with a six-inch margin around the pads—with two inches of gray, two inches of white and two inches of gray.

Then when you move the boat stands, you can fill in the pads and layer the paint accordingly... adding gray to cover the white square left by the pad.. then white to cover the gray square, and so on.

Also, by alternating colors, you can see if someone has sanded through the barrier coat when you're prepping the boat for re-painting. If there's an area that is gray or grayish, they've sanded through at least the outermost layer of barrier coat. If you had all white, you wouldn't be able to tell if they had sanded down through the barrier coat as easily—if you had all gray, you could tell they sanded through the barrier coat...but not if they've sanded into it...

I hope this helps clear things up a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Brak,

I have heard good things about Osprey, you may also try Osmotec in Annapolis and Steve's Yacht repair, also in Annapolis. I researched this topic extensively a few years ago, and decided to try my hand at it first before I dropped $12,000 So far so good.

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Old 03-30-2009
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys!

I am leaning towards hiring soda-blasting company to clean up the bottom, and then doing the actual painting myself. That way I would get the hard stuff outsourced to someone with proper tools, and get to paint the bottom the way I like (and, presumably, save a bit of cash too). Of course that means I am not getting to sail for a while longer, thats ok for a good cause though.
Old 03-30-2009

Keep in mind that you will be doing A LOT of sanding after the soda blasting...A LOT.

Old 03-30-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Not if it is done properly. When I had the three hulls on my boat sodablasted, I had about 95%+ of the actually bottom paint removed down to the gelcoat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Keep in mind that you will be doing A LOT of sanding after the soda blasting...A LOT.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-30-2009

Um...that leaves about 5%, of which there should be 0% Do you have some pictures of that Dog?

Old 03-30-2009
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
They promised to get pretty much all the paint except for "narrow strip under bootstripe".

I am sure it will be a lot more sanding or scraping if I don't get those guys to do it I'll just hope for the best and keep my can of Interstrip 299 handy.
Old 03-31-2009
Telstar 28

I don't have photos of it, but the majority of that <5% was the area around the waterline... and I do have three waterlines to deal with... If it were a monohull, it would have been significantly less to deal with, since there'd be far less water line to deal with.

Quote:
Um...that leaves about 5%, of which there should be 0% Do you have some pictures of that Dog?

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-31-2009

harbin2 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
6)

I would advise your first coat of paint being a high quality copolymer ablative, of the same brand paint as the barrier coat used, Micron Extra or Micron 66 are great choices if using Interprotect 2000E, as many yards do. This first coat of paint can also be of a differing color than your final coat so you know when you need to re-paint. If this is all done properly you will most likely never see chunks of bottom paint flaking off your hull again..
Main Sail
I'm curious why you advise using an ablative first???
I am getting ready to apply the Interprotect 2000E. I just ordered a gallon of the Interlux bottomkote epoxy in black for my first coat - of course, it is a hard paint. My plan was to next apply two more coats of the Micron Extra (ablative).

Last edited by harbin2; 03-31-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-31-2009

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
I'm curious too. On mine, the barrier coat is followed by a coat of hard paint that's black. The following ablative coats are red. When I see black showing through, I know it's time to re-paint. Sometimes, I just touch up the spots where it's worn through to the black paint.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.