Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-30-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

backcreeksailor is on a distinguished road
Cruisers - Alcohol Oven vs. Microwave ?

If you had to replace an old pressurized alcohol stove/oven combo in an 20+ year old boat. (Without getting into the non-pressurized alcohol vs. propane debat...) Would you replace it with a new gimbled full 2-3 burner + oven unit? Or would you install a cook top with 2-3 burners and build out a cabinet below for a microwave?

I'm thinking it's more likely that 99.9% of the time I'd be reheating pre-made food that's out of the the fridge/icebox, rather than baking something in an actual oven. So it seems like a microwave would make more sense both in functionality and weight savings.

Can anyone weigh in with their experiences and opinions?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
i have a micro but can only use it on shore power, thats why i have a grill, and CD is my idol. my stove is a non pressurized alky 2 burner
Old 03-30-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
As noted, this isn't a space or heat question, it's a power question. Do you have the fairly beefy inverter and battery capacity to run even a 600 watt microwave for even 10 minutes? The process of inversion and the particular high draw of a microwave (with its combination of rotation motor and magnetron) makes them quite power-hungry.

I would have the microwave and a propane stovetop, but I'd probably get a pressure cooker for the stove top to reheat stuff or to keep it hot until dinner on the water.

Of course, you're talking to a guy who has carried a Coleman camp stove into the cockpit and put in on a plank with no-skid...Mmmm...boat breakfast...keep 'er level, dear!

Microwaves are great at dock.
Old 03-30-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
That explains a lot... and says it all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt View Post
i have a micro but can only use it on shore power, thats why i have a grill, and CD is my idol. my stove is a non pressurized alky 2 burner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-30-2009
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
And exactly how are you going to bake that cherry pie or perhaps that pan of biscuits. Not having an oven isn't a proper choice in my opinion.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 04-01-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
Orgio non-pressurized stove or propane (if it's already plumbed) would be the way to go. Unless you have lots power generating capacity and the inverter to go with it.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 04-01-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwayneSpeer View Post
And exactly how are you going to bake that cherry pie or perhaps that pan of biscuits. Not having an oven isn't a proper choice in my opinion.

a grill if large enough works fine as an oven, just put a thermometer in it, you need to play with it more thou to keep the temp where you want it
Old 04-01-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Let's see a picture of your grill. Read this thread, and you will get an idea of what you are up against in the grilling world... ....i2f

CruisingDad's BBQ - Anything Sailing Forums

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 04-02-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
We have a microwave on board - the only thing we use it for is popcorn.

All cooking and baking is done on a Force 10 stove (LPG). Microwaves as said in earlier posts are power-hungry little devils

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke