Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-31-2009

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
Are you saying the nuts in the bilge that hold to keel on have glass over them? That would be strange.

My manual calls for the keel nuts to be periodically re-torqued to 250 ft/lbs. Others with the same boat have found doing so reduces the amount of water entering the bilge.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neicy View Post
The boat is a Dufour (French) just like the Jeanneau. So "Faster" are you saying that this is common for iron keels? Would this mean that I shouldn't be extremely concerned with the bolts at this time since the spot is low and not up near the hull area where the keel would be attached?
I wouldn't say that glassed-over keel bolts are common with iron keels, we have an iron keel and the bolts are exposed. I have seen this done in other boats however. It's just not a real good idea because of the inability to monitor the condition of the bolts. We did cut away the glassing over in one of our former boats, and things turned out to be fine. I just felt better knowing, is all. I'm sure the rationale for doing so is to keep bilge water from attacking the bolts, but in reality the glassing over also hides possible leakage from outside, which would be the worst of possibilities.

The periodic repairs you mention to the lower portion of the keel surface is normal for iron keels, and I'd not be too concerned if it's localized other than to take more care on the next repair so that it doesn't need work every haulout. A properly sealed iron keel should be good for many seasons as long as there's no damage to the coating from groundings etc.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-31-2009

Neicy is on a distinguished road
We could expose the bolts for peace of mind. It looks to me that the lifting ring would have to be removed to expose some of the bolts.
We purchased the boat in 2005 and while at the boatyard having all the seacocks replaced noticed the weeping area and had it repaired. However when we hauled out in early 2007 saw the same area again with some seeping water. We had repaired again.
Previous owners stated only soft groundings and had the boat since 90 but who knows about previous to that.
This is out first boat and therefore ownership has had a huge learning curve.
The boat really is or at least has seemed to us to be in great shape for its age. Most in the marina cannot believe it is a 77. The boat still had all gate valves, which we replaced per the survey recommendation. She still has her old Volvo MD7A which turns everytime and purrs. The hour meter had 1277 on it when we bought it and there were old travel logs on the boat that seemed to back that up. I don't think it was used alot. Seems it might have been originally tied up in some kind of divorce struggle.
Anyway don't want to be sailing along and lose a keel from ignorance.
Thanks to all for all and any suggestions.

Last edited by Neicy; 03-31-2009 at 10:44 AM. Reason: to clarify things