Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-01-2009

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
I just installed a Blue Sea panel on my boat as well. Great quality of constrction, easy to use, great customer service, and (if you are really anal) they will even print up custom labels for you. Also, before you go off an buy a 70 piece set of labels to use only one, call them. They sent me all of the "off the shelf" labels I needed for free. I bought my panel from Peter Kennedy Yacht Services - Marine Electrical Systems and got a great price. Worth checking out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would highly recommend not using Peter Kennedy Yacht Services for anything. Here's why: LINK, LINK

To give you a photographic reason:

This is a photo of the mounting plate for the swivel arm that Peter Kennedy mounted my GPS to. The screw holes are the ones he drilled. He only drilled and tapped two of the four holes the equipment is supposed to have, and one of them was in the area where the bushing that allows it to rotate is located, as seen by the pen circle drawn on the aluminum. Very poor quality work.

This is the $40 custom masthead lamp mounting bracket he sold me.

It isn't even wide enough to have the screws for the masthead light got through it. It didn't survive the trailering trip from Annapolis to New Bedford. He had three sheet metal screws holding it to the masthead truck, that were held in by silicone. The corners and edges of the aluminum aren't rounded or smoothed off in any way, and it looks like it was cut with a hacksaw by hand. You can clearly see the silicone in the bottom-most hole on the masthead truck, and the hack job he did on drilling the holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmerc View Post
I just installed a Blue Sea panel on my boat as well. Great quality of constrction, easy to use, great customer service, and (if you are really anal) they will even print up custom labels for you. Also, before you go off an buy a 70 piece set of labels to use only one, call them. They sent me all of the "off the shelf" labels I needed for free. I bought my panel from Peter Kennedy Yacht Services - Marine Electrical Systems and got a great price. Worth checking out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-01-2009

I can't comment on his fabrication work. His shop is not set up for metal working so I assume he contracted that work out. I am curious to find out who did the work. He came reccommended to me by several other sailors around Annapolis. All I can say is the prices he charged me for all new Blue Sea components were fantastic and the wiring advice he gave was corroborated by other experienced marine electricians. He also galdly took back any extra components that I decided not to use for a full refund.
________
Amura

Last edited by nickmerc; 08-18-2011 at 06:17 AM.
Old 04-01-2009

floatsome is on a distinguished road
Another happy Blue Sea panel customer here. I'm refitting and upgraded to new AC and DC panels. Just spent the evening wiring up the AC panel. As others are finding, the build quality seems nice, the instructions are great, the tech support is terrific, the website is very helpful, and the panel is very easy to work on. I lost a critical bolt and one label -- hopefully I can replace them easily. Costs $1 + shipping to get a new label.
Old 04-01-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
His company's electrical work was equally shoddy. While he may sell the equipment at good prices, his work ethic and quality of services suck. Regardless of whether he farms out the fabrication or does it in-house, he is still responsible for the quality of the work he is being paid for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmerc View Post
I can't comment on his fabrication work. His shop is not set up for metal working so I assume he contracted that work out. I am curious to find out who did the work. He came reccommended to me by several other sailors around Annapolis. All I can say is the prices he charged me for all new Blue Sea components were fantastic and the wiring advice he gave was corroborated by other experienced marine electricians. He also galdly took back any extra components that I decided not to use for a full refund.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-03-2009

I agree about being responsible for sub-contractors. I want to know so I can watch out for them if I need fabrication work done. The examples of his work that I have seen are fine. So far yours is the only bad review I have come across. I would tell potential customers to do some research on thier own to make the decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
His company's electrical work was equally shoddy. While he may sell the equipment at good prices, his work ethic and quality of services suck. Regardless of whether he farms out the fabrication or does it in-house, he is still responsible for the quality of the work he is being paid for.
Old 04-03-2009

nmccubbin is on a distinguished road
We have lots of Blue Sea components in our home built boat
Good stuff, and holding up after 5 years, and 20,000 miles.
Service from company good too
Old 04-04-2009

jhaley66 is on a distinguished road
Do blue sea panels come with a cover for the back side of the panel? I am contemplating installing an AC panel in the main cabin and the back side would be in a lazarette. I need to protect the back side of the panel from accidental contact.
Old 04-04-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
They do come with a back of the panel cover

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-04-2009
Telstar 28

I believe the back cover is optional, and has to be bought separately.

Telstar 28
New England

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.