Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-31-2009

FrancoC is on a distinguished road
So these generators that you people are talking about are not for charging batteries but for producing 110 volt AC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the opinion CruisingDad, it is appreciated. The problem is the crap job that was done installing it and routing the duct work. It has lef tus with almost no storage room. The smaller, portable unit is appealing.

We've got a wind generator and are planning on supplementing with solar. Since my husband the ARE's specialty is subsea electrical, I am very confident that he will come up with a workable plan. I don't use a hair dryer, prefer french press and the only thing I can think of that might get regular use is the DVD player for the Cabin Girl. These are all things to take into consideration though...

A side note- I'm a native Texan but lived in Melbourne, Fla until middle school. I remember the humidity and heat and summer squalls which is why I am weighing options not just planning on ripping the system out.
Oh, and some of my happiest memeories are being with my grandparents in Texas sailing my little Sunfish with my grandfather on Lake Tyler.
Old 03-31-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
The generators sole purpose on the boat is to run the AC units, which is why we are thinking of ditching the whole system. It takes up way too much space and was not installed in the most thought out manner.

You can easily wire that into a gen/shore switch so that it can power your boat's charger too and other things. That would probably even be less expensive than paying to have a diesel genset pulled out!!! Instead you should be asking yourself how you are going to charge your batts? Do you have a large solar array and/or wind gen? Even then, you will have to periodically charge them.

Cam said that he ran about 150-160 ah/day (please review the Philosophies of Cruising thread in Boat Buying Forum). Ours was more like 160-180ah/day, but we have/had kids so it is like powering for 4 versus two. Regardless, as a LA, unless you can read by candlight and have no accessories (like radar, cp, radio, etc), you are going to go through a bunch of ah.

Most boats with 2-4d's have approximately 400ah (on the high side) total ah. You should NEVER go below 50% charge or you will seriously deteriorate the lifespan of your batts. That means that you have at or about 200 ah/day which mean that you will be recharging your batts almost every day!!!!

You can increase this time by increasing batteries or adding other means of charging. However, if you don't think you like the size of your gen and ac, try throwing a couple more 4-d's in there! And you will, even with 4-4d's, spread your recharge out by a max day-day and a half.

These are the realities of cruising as we experienced them. We eleceted, this time, to put on a large solar array to help offset the AH loss. We are almost completely off the grid. We did this because last time, as you can see, we were running our genset all the time and got tired of the smell of it. But better that than the main! And FYI, I also dropped some serious coin into a new Mastervolt Diesel Generator (and a/c). So, I am not telling you to do something I have not already done.

I also ama aware that I2F is a cruiser and take his advice well (even though he does not have a real boat - one of those quasi multi-hullers... hehe). Also, Funsailthekeys is knowledgeable so I would respect his opinion too. I am simply giving you our experience, which apparently is slightly different from theirs. Again, in full disclosure, I had/have kids. Not sure I would have done it much different even if I did not though. My wife would not have.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-31-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
Thanks for the opinion CruisingDad, it is appreciated. The problem is the crap job that was done installing it and routing the duct work. It has lef tus with almost no storage room. The smaller, portable unit is appealing.

We've got a wind generator and are planning on supplementing with solar. Since my husband the ARE's specialty is subsea electrical, I am very confident that he will come up with a workable plan. I don't use a hair dryer, prefer french press and the only thing I can think of that might get regular use is the DVD player for the Cabin Girl. These are all things to take into consideration though...

A side note- I'm a native Texan but lived in Melbourne, Fla until middle school. I remember the humidity and heat and summer squalls which is why I am weighing options not just planning on ripping the system out.
Oh, and some of my happiest memeories are being with my grandparents in Texas sailing my little Sunfish with my grandfather on Lake Tyler.

Just saw this reply. I am close to Tyler Texas right now. I drive every weekend to Lake Texoma. Not sure where you are located. I would be happy to meet you at our boat if you want to see what me and the fam have done. It is located where they build Valiant Yachts on Lake Texoma.

Regarding your husband, he is more than welcome to reach out to me to discuss the systems that we have found that worked for us (and what did not). Keeping your batts above 50% is the perpetual problem with cruisers. Of course, if I could get the kids to remember to turn off the lights... but that is another story!!!!

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-31-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Our solar setup

BTW, here is our solar setup. We produce, max, about 205-210ah/day.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-31-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
CD,

That's okay I am wearing my flak jacket . You CRAZY GUY YOU! . Us grillers should stick together you know! It's a mean world out there.....i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 03-31-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Of course, he also looks like Skylab.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-31-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
CD,

That's okay I am wearing my flak jacket . You CRAZY GUY YOU! . Us grillers should stick together you know! It's a mean world out there.....i2f
I hear ya I2F!!!

And as far as you go, SD, you can bite me!!!!

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.