Not a Member? 
Old 03-31-2009
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road
That is what he means, yes.
Old 03-31-2009

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
I've used FRP panels to line lockers...

It works well but might be a bit shiny (reflective) for overhead panels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2009

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
Was starting to get the idea that I was the only one who was willing to use 'non-marine' products!

I've actually used that stuff as non-skid, held up very well. They make several different types of those panels, from a very aggressive diamond pattern to a smoother pebble finish than shown in the link.

On a recore, I layed several layers of cloth, then scuffed the bottom of the panel and cut it out to the shape I wanted the non-skid to be then bonded it with resin, I used thickened epoxy aroung the edge to make a smooth transition.

Need to recore a couple sections of the deck on my Ariel, debating that again, or another off-the-wall idea I have.

It IS fiberglass, so any way you would normally bond glass will work. It curves easily, but does NOT make compound curves.

Ken.
Old 03-31-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
If you do not want the high gloss finish - do a wet sand on the surface with a high grit and spray a matte or flat enamel finish over it. Or, spray the surface with a light covering of the "Frosted Glass" spray in a can. Either will take care of the high gloss without having to prime and paint them....

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 03-31-2009

paulk is on a distinguished road
At $55 a pop, it seems pretty pricey to me, and difficult to install. Plywood would be MUCH cheaper, even if you have to paint it, and will hold up (at least it has on our boat) for about 25 years. Another option, if it's just for headliner: why not use some sort of cloth, and staple or glue it. K.I.S.S.
Old 03-31-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
the panels at home depot are about 30 bucks by me, i wind up using them alot doing house renovations. i dont think they would be much use on a boat, as the surface texture makes them kind of hard to clean. i would not use them in an ice box, because of cleaning reasons. for the inside of cabinets they might be fine. for a head liner i dont think they would do to well, because as stated they wont do compound curves. i would think cedar tongue and grove planks would do better, just paint them once they are in, to brighten up the saloon some
Old 04-01-2009

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I used some of this on a boat. It goes on sale for about $2.50 a sq ft. It is very nice stuff.

Lumber Liquidators: 3/8" x 3" Golden Teak Flooring
Old 04-01-2009
Coastal Traveler

nereussailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nereussailor
Frp

I built a commercial walk in cooler out of the stuff in 1995. in 2007 I sold the place and the cooler was still intact and in great shape. I used regular liquid nails in a tube to glue it to the OSB panels. I would use 4200 or life caulk if I was using it in a boat. The hardest part would be getting it to stay in place while the adhesive dries. they do make a plastic rivet to hold it down. but it makes cleaning it a little harder. Other than that, It cleans super easy with any soap and water and will last a long time. It would be great in the head/ shower combination. Clean-up would be a snap. Wipe and go.

Dave
Old 04-01-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
scottyt
I think we may be looking at differetn panels. The ones I saw at Lowes were a soft pebble on one side and smooth on the other. Not an agressive tread pattern.

No comments on using Formica? A slight off-white with a matte finish is going to be much more pleasing to the eye, unless you like living in an exam room.
Old 04-01-2009

geraldartman is on a distinguished road
How much trouble to bend 3/8's teak T&G?
I agree on the battens. leaves a chase for wiring and insulation like reflectix.
I wouldn't mind SS screw and washers for access, replacement.
With battens and screws if you don't like it, change is easy to something else.

I think cork is attractive also, comes in colors and has a nice pattern.
Plus it floats :-)

I can't believe that something NSF approved is hard to clean. By definition, it would be non-absorbent and easy to clean.

Last edited by geraldartman; 04-01-2009 at 10:54 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.