SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   FRP panels from home depot in marine applications? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/53008-frp-panels-home-depot-marine-applications.html)

jgsteven 03-31-2009 05:48 PM

FRP panels from home depot in marine applications?

Hello,

I am replacing some of the interior paneling (currently a 1/8 in thick painted wood paneling covering the fiberglass in the salon and v-berth ceiling) in my boat.

When I was looking for replacement paneling, I found that home depot sells some white FRP panels, which would likely be more durable than the painted wood panels they replaced (and appear to resist mildew, not need painting, etc).

My questions are:
1.) Does anyone have experience with using interior FRP paneling in a boat?
2.) Where an adhesive is needed, is there a better option than 3m 5200? (which claims to bond everything but Polyethelene and Polypropolene pretty well -- which means it should do FRP paneling just fine, right??)

Thanks,

--
Joe

modul8 03-31-2009 06:13 PM

'm having trouble finding the panels at the home depot website. Got a link?

jgsteven 03-31-2009 06:19 PM

panel link

Quote:

Originally Posted by modul8 (Post 469097)
'm having trouble finding the panels at the home depot website. Got a link?

Hmm, I couldn't find it at the home depot website either (but they have them in the store!). Its exactly like this:

Structoglas and Structodecor Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic Panel (F.R.P.) - Deerso.com

--
Joe

Deadeye 03-31-2009 06:19 PM

5200 is great for a glass to glass adhesive, so long as you're looking for a permanent bond (same goes for Sikaflex)d. If you want to be able to remove the liner contact cement, silicone caulk, or heavy duty velcro might be a better option.

I haven't seen those FRP panels, but I don't have a big store anywhere near me. I assume they're the gelcoat and mat/resin panels for tub surrounds ?
EDIT: simultaneous post...

Do you feel confident enough to lay up your own panels ? Flat panels are pretty straightforward.

AllThumbs 03-31-2009 06:35 PM

I have seen that stuff. The PO of my 16' dingy used it for the floor of the cockpit (glued over the existing floor). I see no reason it would not work in a boat for the ceiling. I wouldn't use 5200 unless you NEVER want to remove it.

xort 03-31-2009 07:14 PM

I plan on using this type of panel inside my freezer after adding extra insulation.

But for the interior of the salon? Gloss white? Why not Formica? Pretty common on the 'herschoff' designed interiors. You can have only about a thousand colors to choose from, most with satin finish.

btrayfors 03-31-2009 07:34 PM

I used some of that paneling a couple of years ago to replace the locker tops and backs in the galley (the thin teak veneer had been water damaged over the years and needed replacement).

It was easy to work with, looks really good, brightened up the lockers, and seems to work just fine.

Bill

sailingdog 03-31-2009 08:15 PM

I wouldn't use 5200. I would highly recommend adding furring strips to the boat's interior and using screws to hold the FRP panels in place.

jgsteven 03-31-2009 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadeye (Post 469102)
Do you feel confident enough to lay up your own panels ? Flat panels are pretty straightforward.

No - I really didn't want to do it myself, because of time and space concerns. Thats why the FRP home depot was selling was attractive.

I am only using white for the ceiling to reflect more light and keep the boat from being dark. The walls and bulkheads are going to be painted.

--
Joe

jgsteven 03-31-2009 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 469140)
I wouldn't use 5200. I would highly recommend adding furring strips to the boat's interior and using screws to hold the FRP panels in place.

By furring strip, do you mean epoxying a strip of board to the boat to screw the panels into?