Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-31-2009

jgsteven is on a distinguished road
FRP panels from home depot in marine applications?

Hello,

I am replacing some of the interior paneling (currently a 1/8 in thick painted wood paneling covering the fiberglass in the salon and v-berth ceiling) in my boat.

When I was looking for replacement paneling, I found that home depot sells some white FRP panels, which would likely be more durable than the painted wood panels they replaced (and appear to resist mildew, not need painting, etc).

My questions are:
1.) Does anyone have experience with using interior FRP paneling in a boat?
2.) Where an adhesive is needed, is there a better option than 3m 5200? (which claims to bond everything but Polyethelene and Polypropolene pretty well -- which means it should do FRP paneling just fine, right??)

Thanks,

--
Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2009
99% landlubber, 1% sailor

modul8 is on a distinguished road
'm having trouble finding the panels at the home depot website. Got a link?
Old 03-31-2009

panel link

Quote:
Originally Posted by modul8 View Post
'm having trouble finding the panels at the home depot website. Got a link?
Hmm, I couldn't find it at the home depot website either (but they have them in the store!). Its exactly like this:

Structoglas and Structodecor Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic Panel (F.R.P.) - Deerso.com

--
Joe
Old 03-31-2009
Bender of Nails

Deadeye is on a distinguished road
5200 is great for a glass to glass adhesive, so long as you're looking for a permanent bond (same goes for Sikaflex)d. If you want to be able to remove the liner contact cement, silicone caulk, or heavy duty velcro might be a better option.

I haven't seen those FRP panels, but I don't have a big store anywhere near me. I assume they're the gelcoat and mat/resin panels for tub surrounds ?
EDIT: simultaneous post...

Do you feel confident enough to lay up your own panels ? Flat panels are pretty straightforward.

Last edited by Deadeye; 03-31-2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-31-2009
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road
I have seen that stuff. The PO of my 16' dingy used it for the floor of the cockpit (glued over the existing floor). I see no reason it would not work in a boat for the ceiling. I wouldn't use 5200 unless you NEVER want to remove it.
Old 03-31-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
I plan on using this type of panel inside my freezer after adding extra insulation.

But for the interior of the salon? Gloss white? Why not Formica? Pretty common on the 'herschoff' designed interiors. You can have only about a thousand colors to choose from, most with satin finish.
Old 03-31-2009

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
I used some of that paneling a couple of years ago to replace the locker tops and backs in the galley (the thin teak veneer had been water damaged over the years and needed replacement).

It was easy to work with, looks really good, brightened up the lockers, and seems to work just fine.

Bill
Old 03-31-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I wouldn't use 5200. I would highly recommend adding furring strips to the boat's interior and using screws to hold the FRP panels in place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-31-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
Do you feel confident enough to lay up your own panels ? Flat panels are pretty straightforward.
No - I really didn't want to do it myself, because of time and space concerns. Thats why the FRP home depot was selling was attractive.

I am only using white for the ceiling to reflect more light and keep the boat from being dark. The walls and bulkheads are going to be painted.

--
Joe
Old 03-31-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I wouldn't use 5200. I would highly recommend adding furring strips to the boat's interior and using screws to hold the FRP panels in place.
By furring strip, do you mean epoxying a strip of board to the boat to screw the panels into?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.