SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

MacGregor/Venture Keel Pivot Bolt Torque?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  T/Y Goodman 
#1 ·
I ordered a new pivot bolt for my V222 today. Is there a torque value on these pivot bolts, or is it just tightened "by feel?"

Got a new cable, too. Last summer, I saw a Catalina 25 (swing keel) in my marina, sitting up in a cradle while the owner tried to figure out if his cracked hull could be repaired. Come to find out, the cable snapped while the keel was being hoisted up out on the water. That got me thinking that with a cable that had not been changed since the mid-80's, it might be time to service my boat before I ended up in the same expensive situation.

#2 ·
Hey no actual torque value. Here is the exact words from the manual. When the boat is launched for the first time, check for leakage around the lower pivot bolt. The
nut should be tightened securely enough to stop all leakage, but not so tight as to damage the
rubber.

Also just an fyi the keel & pivot is to be inspected once a year and the keel its self i would recommend pulling out every 10 years to inspect for rust etc and redcoat it with paint.

https://sbo.sailboatowners.com/downloads/Macgregor_25_77746886.pdf :pirateraft:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.