SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

direkt fit alternator replacement Perkins 4-108?

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Omatako 
#1 ·
Good evening,

We're looking for a direkt alternator replacement, identical case size, for our Perkins 4-108, without having to go through the trouble of adjusting alternator brackets or custom welding. With a new AGM battery bank of 600 amps, a high output alternator of 150 amp would be ideal, and a smart regulator is planned for. Any thoughts on brand and model that could fit this bill?

Thanks,
Jolanda
Pearson 385

#2 ·
It's unlikely, I believe, that you will get a small-frame alternator with that kind of output and it is likely that the original alt from the Perky is a small-frame unit. All supposition on my part because I don't have a Perky.

The alternators that deliver 150A are generally large-frame units such as Balmar and they will not ordinarily fit the standard bracketry on an engine.

I had my original small-frame alt (35A) from my Yanmar refurbished and was told that the best output they could give me would be 85A which is what I have mounted on the engine now.

Hope this is of some use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.