Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-03-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
For example west marine charges 100 dollar more for the EXACT same tiller as Defender

About 168 Vs 68

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2009
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
WM is widely known to have almost the highest prices possible. Beyond that, if you were to begin producing toilet seats you would need a mold or another form of tooling. The tooling costs the same whether you sell 5 or 5 million. Most of the time I hear mold prices for injection molded plastic parts for instance at around $25k-$50k. If you have to spend that to produce a product you must include some portion of that cost in each part that you sell. The fewer you sell the more of that cost will be reflected in each part, driving the price up. There's also shipping. let's say it costs $10.00 to ship one toilet seat. If you only need a half a dozen you'll still pay quite a bit for each piece to be shipped. If you can order a pallet of toilet seats to sell you can bet that the shipping per item to the retailer will be much much less than what UPS charges to deliver one or six. Again the cost gets passed on to the lowly toilet seat. The same is true of any product. This is most evident in food prices. It costs a lot more per almond to harvest, shell, and roast one can of almonds by it's self than it does to harvest and process 1000 acres of almonds.
Almost everyone can beat almost every price at WM.
Old 04-03-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
The volume aspect of the head seat is clearly a contributer and goes quite a way to explaining the high cost but that does not alter the statement that we as boat owners get ripped off.

I needed a new starter motor. I went to a Yanmar marine supplier who quoted me NZ$975 for the replacement. I bought the exact same starter , bearing the same Hitachi ID plate with the same part number (so let's not debate that it isn't a marine version) for NZ$590 from an automotive vendor.

I then needed a water pump. Here I was trapped because there are no other suppliers for Yanmar water pumps and I was quoted NZ$630 for the replacement by the agent. I asked if I could get the parts to overhaul the pump and was told the pump is not serviced, parts are not available. I found an automotive vendor who overhauled the pump with new bearngs and seals for NZ$136. And in all honesty the overhaul was done so well it's hard to distinguish the pump from a new one. It was even painted with Yanmar paint!!

So why is this? The boating fraternity world wide could make every effort to boycott marine suppliers wherever possible. Would that make a difference? Not really. Because a large proportion of the boat-ownership world-wide are wealthy folks who don't even ask the price. They mostly don't even know what was done to fix a problem and their secretary or accountant pays the bill. I have several friends in the boat maintenance business here in Auckland and they reckon one in 5 customers ask for a quote. The rest just want the problem gone.

That's why we pay extortionate prices.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 04-03-2009
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
So why is this? The boating fraternity world wide could make every effort to boycott marine suppliers wherever possible. Would that make a difference? Not really. Because a large proportion of the boat-ownership world-wide are wealthy folks who don't even ask the price. They mostly don't even know what was done to fix a problem and their secretary or accountant pays the bill. I have several friends in the boat maintenance business here in Auckland and they reckon one in 5 customers ask for a quote. The rest just want the problem gone.

That's why we pay extortionate prices.
Car industry is the same way. Stories of being ripped off in car repair shops are so numerous I don't think it is worth repeating any. That said, there are many fewer marine repair outfits out there than car related. In my recent repair of the rigging I had a choice of essentially two riggers. One I used before and they were terrible. That left the other one As you may imagine, whatever he asks I'll have to pay. (There are a few more companies that do rigging in the area, but the total number is may be under 10 and most don't go to where I am or don't deal with this type of boat etc).

I wanted to soda blast the bottom of my boat - even better, there is only one company anywhere in the state that does it. Guess what - their price is the price I will pay.

So, the less choice there is - the higher the prices. And because there are a lot less boats out there than cars - this isn't going to change anytime soon.
Old 04-03-2009

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
What does Kentucky have to do with toilet seats at WM?
Just read the thread. This 'golden age' crap is for the birds...took me a little while, but I got it! Ahhh, the nuances....I like it.
Old 04-03-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
So why is this?
Omatako,
I agree there certainly are many places where we can save some cash.
The alternator is another good one.
But like I said in my comments, a lot of what we pay extra for is the convenience of walking into a West Store and walking out in a matter of minutes with what we need. At certain times and in certain circumstances, I am willing to pay for this convenience. Other times I am not.

To tell you the truth, if I was the Original Poster and was told $90.00 for the replacement seat, I would have asked how much for a new head and probaly I would have bought the new head for $120.00

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White

Last edited by sailortjk1; 04-03-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-05-2009

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Omatako,
I agree there certainly are many places where we can save some cash.
The alternator is another good one.
But like I said in my comments, a lot of what we pay extra for is the convenience of walking into a West Store and walking out in a matter of minutes with what we need. At certain times and in certain circumstances, I am willing to pay for this convenience. Other times I am not.

To tell you the truth, if I was the Original Poster and was told $90.00 for the replacement seat, I would have asked how much for a new head and probably I would have bought the new head for $120.00

A marine head for $120? Looked on Sailnet and Defender. Both heads (the least expensive listed) were $300, not including shipping. The thought of throwing out a perfectly good head for want of a seat makes me cringe. As does the fact that one part might have cost the same as the entire product (it does happen). We are such a wasteful society! The seat on Defender was $60, add $20 for shipping and PRESTO...$80! The notion of WM as a convenience store is an interesting one. As is the notion of them having what you want when you want it (their inventory control is the worst I've ever seen in a retail outlet!). 7-11 is a convenience store, WM is not! It's a brick and mortar chandlery (sort of ). If you are comparing it with the Internet, it's not fair as they have no (or little) overhead for retail outlets or shipping costs. However, as I've just demonstrated, the net effect to the consumer is often the same. Bottom line...we get screwed as boat owners. It's nothing new...it's not going to change! This stupid little toilet seat just rubbed it in my face. Just needed to vent!
Old 04-05-2009

anthon is on a distinguished road
Aah, Good old WM. I came close to buying a fishfinder on WM but decided to look round. Thankfully I did as I saved over $150 with the same model from sailnet
Old 04-26-2009

L124C is on a distinguished road
Think...It's Patriotic!

Went to the little marine/hardware store that was selling the seat for $20.00 (see picture). I asked the owner how he was selling it for that price, when everyone else was $60 to $80. He said that due to his Ace affiliation he was able to go directly to the manufacturer. So, the manufacture is the same that manufactures the larger household seats (of course). I told him about this post and the "economy of scale" theory. He smiled and said; "$20 is twice the amount you would pay for the larger house hold seat. That's plenty of mark up to account for economy of scale!" Even if you through in a middle man who makes $10.00 on the deal, that brings the retail cost to $30. What an honest guy, though spelling is apparently not his strength ("origionl"! This is a relatively small store with relatively small volume (I assume) and most of his marine stuff is considerably less expensive than I've seen it elsewhere. Wish he was closer to my boat! Anyway, my point is; face it boat owners, you are getting screwed! It's not going to change unless we revolt in mass But at least realize it, and stop making excuses for greedy retailers like; "obviously, it's due to economy of scale"! Obviously, most of the outrageous mark up is due to greed and people who will pay it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0424091117a.jpg (34.8 KB, 40 views)
Old 04-26-2009

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Only 80.00? A bargain at twice the price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
Went to the little marine/hardware store that was selling the seat for $20.00 [...]Anyway, my point is; face it boat owners, you are getting screwed! It's not going to change unless we revolt in mass.
Gee ... I spent 25 years in the Navy/USNR and understand a bit about low volume, special item purchasing. Frankly, your post has left me bewildered and confused. I could have sworn toilet seats cost $700!!
Pasadena, MD

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.