Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-02-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

backcreeksailor is on a distinguished road
Bottom Paint Options on the Chesapeake Bay?

Another never-before-boat-owner question...

Bottom paint for a sailboat... I'm assuming that sailboats typically get ablative paint rather than hard paint.

For a Chesapeake Bay boat that's going to spend most of its time in the lower salinity - upper portions of the bay. What readily available ablative paints would fit in the following categories and how many coats should you ask for of each?

* Assume the boat will remain in the water between seasons
  • Expensive - (Will last 2+ seasons)
  • Midrange - (Should make it through 2 seasons)
  • Budget - (Good protection, but only through 1 season)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2009

jason3317 is on a distinguished road
Micron Extra or Micron 66 are ablative/co-polymer paints that are proven Chesapeake performers. 2-3 Coats. Should last at least 2 seasons. Around $200 / gal, which should be enough for 30-35' ft waterline length.

In my opinion, anything less...is not cost effective. You could paint one coat a different color to show areas that need touching up at spring commissioning. Give an extra coat at high wear areas, leading edges, waterline, etc.

Jason
Old 04-02-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Ditto Jason...

Any money saved will be spent when you haul after 1 season instead of 2.

Also, whether the boat can stay in depends on the exact location; if it is too fresh it will freeze hard.

If I hauled every year, I suppose I would still use 66, just one coat.

Avoid build-up and you can avoid sanding most years.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-02-2009

SailKing1 is on a distinguished road
I agree, I used micron extra 2 coats with a third on the leading edge and I'm in the lower bay. Bottom stayed clean for for better than 3 seasons and probably could have lasted another.
Old 04-02-2009

MrBee is on a distinguished road
Bottom Paint

I'm sure these guys know more than I do.... But, I think it depends on your boat and what your doing with it. If your not racing and just day sailing and / or over nighting some times, I see no need to spend big bucks on paint. Why spend $200.00 per gallon just to do it again in a year or two ??
Go cheap, Get a good coat on and then Touch it up for a few years till the other color shows through, THEN start again with a different color.

If you have a high $$ boat and are after performance or looks then go with the Good stuff.

Just a different point of view.

Bee
Old 04-02-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
I too have been successful with Micron Extra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 04-02-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Practical Sailor just published some test results....

An Micron 66 finished on top, along with some other good paints. That was in FL.

Also, consider the cost of bad gas mileage with a foul bottom.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 04-08-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

backcreeksailor is on a distinguished road
I just found out that bottom currently has a coat of Pettit Trinidad on it, which is is a Hard Anti-fouling paint... I'm looking at going to Micron 66 or Micron Extra Ablative...

The anti-fouling compatibility chart on the Interlux website states that the only thing I need to do is lightly sand before applying the Micron Ablative. But then in the fine print is seems to imply that I'll need to use Primocon YPA984 primer over the old paint.

AntiFouling Compatibility Chart

Does anyone have experience with switching from Hard to Ablative bottom paint? And did you need to prime over the old hard Hard anti-fouling first or did you just paint over with ablative?

Last edited by backcreeksailor; 04-08-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-08-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by backcreeksailor View Post
I just found out that bottom currently has a coat of Pettit Trinidad on it, which is is a Hard Anti-fouling paint... I'm looking at going to Micron 66 or Micron Extra Ablative...

The anti-fouling compatibility chart on the Interlux website states that the only thing I need to do is lightly sand before applying the Micron Ablative. But then in the fine print is seems to imply that I'll need to use Primocon YPA984 primer over the old paint.

AntiFouling Compatibility Chart

Does anyone have experience with switching from Hard to Ablative bottom paint? And did you need to prime over the old hard Hard anti-fouling first or did you just paint over with ablative?
I would think the compatability chart you linked would have the answer there. As I understand putting an ablative over hard paint is not a big deal, but you can't go the other way.

As far as performance in the Chesapeake is concerned, the previous owners of my last boat used Pettit Hydrocoat and I was very happy with how it worked and held up, so I continued using it and have two gallons at home for the new boat.

Its a multi-season ablative that has worked well for me and it costs about 1/2 of the brands I consistently see recommended here. Unless you are a racer using hard paint and burnishing your bottom, I can't see spending twice as much for bottom paint. I'm going over old paint so, I'll sand to create some "tooth", then two coats of Black Hydrocoat (3 in the high wear areas)over the exisiting blue and I won't paint again until blue is showing. I expect the paint to last at least 2 seasons based on what I saw on my previous boat.

Hydocoat is also water based, so I can get all "holier than thou" about green aspects and the easy clean up. lol
Old 04-08-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
I don't use my boat for racing or any competition - just relaxed cruising however I still spend the extra for the better paint and use Micron Extra. Last year I had my bottom cleaned towards the end of the season by a diver and the boat felt like a totally different animal. It accelerated much quicker and maintained a better speed at significantly lower RPMs than before. Therefore even though I don't race I just love the way the boat feels, responds and performs with a cleaner bottom and would rather spend the extra for a paint that keeps it that way longer. Just my .02 from a different perspective