Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-02-2009

Pub911 is on a distinguished road
Battery question

I'm stupid an lazy, please don't rub it in.

I let my 3 2-year-old Optima batteries run flat in a frozen boat all winter.

Now it seems like they're not holding a charge...can't tell for sure because the boatyard keeps unplugging my extension cord after I leave. But they're dead upon return, even though the do hold a charge for a while as evidenced by cabin lighting after I've been hanging out while the charger has been on for a few hours.

The charger is a good one, a Heart Interface inverter/charger combo, set to AGM appropriately.

Is there anything I can do to resussitate these batteries?

Is it likely that my mistreatment would kill 'em?

3 x $200 , yuck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
They're likely dead. If you ran them flat and didn't recharge them for several months...with a load on them, it is likely that you killed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub911 View Post
I'm stupid an lazy, please don't rub it in.

I let my 3 2-year-old Optima batteries run flat in a frozen boat all winter.

Now it seems like they're not holding a charge...can't tell for sure because the boatyard keeps unplugging my extension cord after I leave. But they're dead upon return, even though the do hold a charge for a while as evidenced by cabin lighting after I've been hanging out while the charger has been on for a few hours.

The charger is a good one, a Heart Interface inverter/charger combo, set to AGM appropriately.

Is there anything I can do to resussitate these batteries?

Is it likely that my mistreatment would kill 'em?

3 x $200 , yuck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-03-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Dead as a doornail. Sorry.
Old 04-06-2009

naviman is on a distinguished road
Recovering your marine batteries

You can use a battery desulfator to recover them. Simply attach them to the battery while charging. I got them online and they work perfectly!
Old 04-06-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Yeah...and get a magnet for your fuel and a copper bracelet for your arthritis while you do that.
Old 04-06-2009

naviman is on a distinguished road
Its definitely not a 'magical' device but one invented by NASA and used by the US military. This is what the website describes as to how it works. They were made primarily for cars but they work on marine batteries as well.

As automobiles are usually parked longer than they're being driven, the batteries are left discharging for longer periods of time than when they are being charged.

Charging:
2PbSO4 + 2H20 -> Pb + PbO2 + 2H2SO4

Discharging:
Pb + PbO2 + 2H2SO4 -> 2PbSO4 + 2H20

This causes water and lead sulfate (PbSO4) to form at a faster rate than it can be reconverted back to lead, lead dioxide and water. Lead sulfate that's left sitting, originally spongy, will eventually crystallize. Once in crystal form, the lead sulfated cannot be reconverted, even when the battery is being charged. This causes a reduction in active material (the lead and lead dioxide) and surface area where chemical reaction takes place. Eventually, the battery will no longer have the capability to supply enough cranking current to start a car. This process, also known as sulfation, is the main cause why batteries fail prematurely!

The Desulfator generates Amplitude Modulated Pulses (AMP) at the resonance frequency of the crystals to shatter the covalent bonds that hold it together. This allows the lead sulfate to be reconverted once the battery is charged. A battery free from lead sulfate crystals will have its life span stretched to its maximum! No more premature failure due to sulfation!
Old 04-06-2009

WheresTheBrakes is on a distinguished road
anyone ??

--------------------
1984 Starwind 22
"Julianne"
Old 04-06-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Agree with Cam and some of the others, probably dead.

When the battery is discharged for a long time they sulfate and it is impossible to get rid of once it has happened. Someone above (apologies for not checking to see who) mentioned a device to desulfate batteries, I've read they are ineffective, but the poster seems to have direct knowledge to the contrary. I wouldn't waste my money, it is the nature of lead acid batteries that they sulfate when discharged for long periods of time. Too bad nickle-iron batteries are so expensive.

Try attaching a small solar panel to them next time to keep them charged.

Please support my
Old 04-06-2009
moderate?

All of the REAL tests of the various magical pulse desulfators including a series by our own esteemed Bill Trayfors have found the devices worthless.
Don't believe ANYONE who tells you different. If the battery cannot be revived by equalization it cannot be revived by a "desulfator".
Here's what Bill commented elsewhere:

And, after over 18 months of testing the little pulsers mentioned above (which are NOT chargers, by the way) -- including the PulseTech models, of which I own several -- I don't have much faith in their claims to work as desulfators and to restore lost capacity. We found that after over a year of "treatment" with these desulfators, and vigorous exercising of the flooded and gelled golf-cart batteries under test, very little change in capacity occured. However, the flooded batteries were equalized a couple of times, and exhibited a significant increase in capacity.
Old 04-06-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post

And, after over 18 months of testing the little pulsers mentioned above (which are NOT chargers, by the way) -- including the PulseTech models, of which I own several -- I don't have much faith in their claims to work as desulfators and to restore lost capacity. We found that after over a year of "treatment" with these desulfators, and vigorous exercising of the flooded and gelled golf-cart batteries under test, very little change in capacity occured. However, the flooded batteries were equalized a couple of times, and exhibited a significant increase in capacity.
That statement in itself is inconclusive - were the flooded batteries that were equalized - done so after being treated by a desulfator? That is what your quoted statement leads me to believe. Some mock the aspirin trick on batteries and I can tell you - I have done it - it works (its a one or two shot deal but will get you to where you have to go)...granted you have to buy a new battery but it can get you where you have to go...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or