Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-03-2009
S/V Stardust

jlenox is on a distinguished road
Universal M-18 Heat exchanger

I was replacing the zinc in my hx today when (as I am reading other posts) I came up with only the brass head because the zinc had broken off, and I could not push the new zinc into the hole as the old one was stuck. I consulted with the yard owner who advised to pull the clean out cover off the end of the hx. My only problem is that there is only one clean out on the hx and it is at the far end of the unit from where the zinc attaches. I noticed significant green crusting on both ends. I am going to pull the hx out this week end to determine if it is salvagable or needs replacing. Does anyone know if the port end of the hx for this motor actually has a clean out or if the end cap is not removable. There is no obvious bolt as there is on the starboard side. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenox View Post
I was replacing the zinc in my hx today when (as I am reading other posts) I came up with only the brass head because the zinc had broken off, and I could not push the new zinc into the hole as the old one was stuck. I consulted with the yard owner who advised to pull the clean out cover off the end of the hx. My only problem is that there is only one clean out on the hx and it is at the far end of the unit from where the zinc attaches. I noticed significant green crusting on both ends. I am going to pull the hx out this week end to determine if it is salvagable or needs replacing. Does anyone know if the port end of the hx for this motor actually has a clean out or if the end cap is not removable. There is no obvious bolt as there is on the starboard side. Thanks.
Change your zincs every six to eight weeks or when you determine you can still get them out in one piece. These zinc chunks do a lot more to block an HX than do impeller chunks..

Yes both ends have clean out..

Cleaning a Heat Exchanger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 04-03-2009
S/V Stardust

Maine,
Thank you. I hope to pull it this weekend and try to figure out how to open the other end since there is no bolt visible, like on the starboard side. I will post photos. Additionally, I have read many of your posts, thanks for all of the excellent information on a variety of subjects!
Jeff
Old 04-03-2009

Pub911 is on a distinguished road
I have had a similar situation occur to me as well. Close-the-barn-door-after-the-horse-got-out advice notwithstanding , I've had good luck just knocking the loose zinc around with a probe. If it fell off the threaded plug, it's like that it's pretty broken down and will crumble without too much trouble. Be careful not to cause any collateral damage as you knock it about. And flush as the unit well so that you get as much of the debris out the zinc-hole as possible.

Good luck.
Old 04-03-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub911 View Post
I have had a similar situation occur to me as well. Close-the-barn-door-after-the-horse-got-out advice notwithstanding , I've had good luck just knocking the loose zinc around with a probe. If it fell off the threaded plug, it's like that it's pretty broken down and will crumble without too much trouble. Be careful not to cause any collateral damage as you knock it about. And flush as the unit well so that you get as much of the debris out the zinc-hole as possible.

Good luck.
You really should pull the end cap and check..

And people think impeller chunks clog HX's..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 04-04-2009
S/V Stardust

New part on order

Well, I pulled the HX today and the port side seems to have been braised shut. It is leaking from both ends judging by the green corrosion. I took photos to upload but for some reason was unable to get them to upload "upload failed" even though I resized them to fit the parameters required. Thanks for all the help. I will update once part comes in and I attempt to replace!
Old 04-04-2009
S/V Stardust

I was able to upload the photos into the members gallery section. Dont know why I cant get them here. Sorry
Old 04-04-2009
S/V Stardust

http://www.sailnet.com/photogallery/...0/ppuser/10481

This is the best I can do. Cant get it to accept uploads into the post, and when I try to insert image, it gives me a box with red x.
Old 04-04-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
That's kind of why most of us post photos to an external website and link to them using the insert photo icon,

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-02-2009
S/V Stardust

Maine,
Thanks for your help. New HX, hoses and clamps are installed as is a vented loop in the raw water line from the HX to the ehxhaust. We just brought the boat under power 2 1/2 hrs from Forked River to Toms River in NJ and all ran well, no leaks and the motor ran nice and cool. Let the sailing begin!
Jeff