Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-04-2009

Jhoward60 is on a distinguished road
Repairing cracking gelcoat

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and it sure looks like this is the PLACE to get boat repair information.
I have recently purchased a 1963 GRP Silhouette sailboat. I am going to try and completely restore the boat. I have begun to sand off the old finish, so far I have got the hull sides from the deck down to the waterline and the transom sanded. I used a random orbital sander and 40 and 80 grit.
What I have found so far is that the surface is cracked and crazed fairly extensively.I would say that the
gelcoat is essentially gone. Would it be better to;
1. Use a fairing putty to fill and smooth the surface then use a high build
primer and paint? I have heard Pettit makes a good one.
2. Coat with epoxy? West system or other.
3. Put a layer of say 1.5 oz. fiberglass cloth and resin? Polyester or epoxy?
Thanks
John

Last edited by Jhoward60; 04-04-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2009
poppy

maggoo is on a distinguished road
john, if the gelcracks are deep try to use a dremal tool or simular tool to grind out the cracks .if you don't no matter what you do they will only return. once you have them ground out ,use a good marine filler then sand smooth.this is what i do for a job. but remember they are not structual it is just the gelcoat . unless hull has been damaged in some way. good luck charlie
Old 04-04-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
IF it is just cracked gelcoat, there's no reason to put a layer of fiberglass down. Just open the cracks up a bit and fill with MarineTex or other thickened epoxy. Either paint or gelcoat the epoxy once it is cured.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-05-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
if the whole hull is crazed i would sand it with the 80 grit like you did. then mix up some epoxy and colloidal silica, and roll on a a few coats, then sand smooth. sanding will be tough using the silica but it will be a strong coating. you will have to paint the boat after wards or the epoxy will not hold up in the sun.
Old 04-05-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
IF you decide to go the route scottyt suggests, I highly recommend getting the epoxy as fair as possible before it cures.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-05-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
jhoward60, When following any of the good suggestions above, I would add the process of a shallow round drilled hole at the end of all or at least the larger cracks. This will likely distribute the stresses that might cause the crack to grow in the future. This is especially a prefered step it you are using the faring material as opposed to a new expoxy layer.
Old 04-05-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
as dog said you would want it as smooth as possible, the silica will make the epoxy hard as hell. you could also use a light weight fairing filler after the slica filler to make it easier to fair and sand.

the reason for the silica filler is it will make the epoxy structural instead of just a weak coating.

if you wanted to go crazy, there is some exotic fillers for epoxy that give it various properties. like ground up neoprene for extreme flexibility.

basicly you want a coating that has some strength, not just a coating. but you could also spray or roll on more gel coat, with the last layer a finishing gel coat, or sprayed will mold release to get it to cure completely.
Old 04-06-2009

Thanks for all the good information. I'll probably go with the epoxy coating. I've got some pictures of the damage but I can't post them for some reason.
Old 04-06-2009

Here are some pictures of the damage.
After sanding 1 pictures by jhoward60 - Photobucket
After sanding 1 :: HPIM0996.jpg picture by jhoward60 - Photobucket
Old 04-06-2009
Telstar 28

You have to have ten posts before you can post a link to a photo as an in-line part of a post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhoward60 View Post
Thanks for all the good information. I'll probably go with the epoxy coating. I've got some pictures of the damage but I can't post them for some reason.

Telstar 28
New England