Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-05-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

backcreeksailor is on a distinguished road
Towing Membership / Insurance ?

Used boat, Reliability unproven (to me yet), so I'm thinking having towing insurance at least for my first season wouldn't be a bad idea. And at $149 a year, it's relatively cheap.

I found SeaTow in the Annapolis area. Does anyone have experience with this company and would you recommend them (or anyone better)?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2009
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Not familiar with your area, but BoatUS seems to be the most common. Like you say, it's pretty cheap insurance. If you need it and don't have it, it costs a fortune.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 04-05-2009

dergon is on a distinguished road
IIRC BoatUS has different levels of tow packages. Check and make sure it's not the one that just gives you $50 off a tow........not sure if that one still exists but I remeber having a friend say he thought he was insured on BoatUS tow but it was only a discount.
Old 04-05-2009

HerbDB is on a distinguished road
BoatUS is an excellent value. Their unlimited package is not that expensive compared with the cost if you need help. I have not checked on the prices for SeaTow.

In the Chesapeake, both BoatUS and SeaTow will probably do the job for you. If you intend to make trips outside the local area, you may want to check on their coverage as it varies.
Old 04-05-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbDB View Post
BoatUS is an excellent value. Their unlimited package is not that expensive compared with the cost if you need help. I have not checked on the prices for SeaTow.

In the Chesapeake, both BoatUS and SeaTow will probably do the job for you. If you intend to make trips outside the local area, you may want to check on their coverage as it varies.
I second doing some research on which company has a base closest to your sailing area and going with them. Look at the plans and buy the coverage that makes sense to you. BoatUS has different coverage including one level that will provide a two out of your home slip if needed. Usually the policy will only cover towing from a dock if you are a transient there. If you think you could get your boat from the slip to the maintenance dock by other means, it might not matter, but if you find you can't get the boat to start and need it moved some distance, it might be good to have.

I have coverage with BoatUS and the one time I needed them, their response was outstanding. The answered my 2nd hail, said they be their in 30 minutes and exactly 30 minutes later I saw the Red Tow boat come around the point. The operator quickly and efficiently took is in tow, then when we got into protected water, took us "on the hip" and had me steer us in to the maintenance dock. The tow was completely covered under my unlimited policy. The total bill was several hundred dollars which was eye opening because I had sailed myself to the just outside the creek entrance so the tow was short and didn't involve even a soft ungrounding.

We now have a Sea Tow franchise based closer to my marina and I may switch but it won't be because I'm not happy with Towboat US.
Old 04-05-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd go with BoatUS unlimited. It also has other benefits, like a BoatUS membership that gets discounts on fuel and transient slips in many marinas, as well as a small rebate on whatever you spend at WM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-06-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
We carry both BoatUS and Seatow, neither of which do us much good here in the Bahamas . I second SD's comment on the BoatUS discounts though... if you plan on cruising, at least have a basic BoatUS membership. We've saved hundreds of dollars on our cruise so far through BoatUS discounts at marinas and elsewhere for fuel and dockage.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me