Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-06-2009

bigsarg1 is on a distinguished road
bulkhead rot in head

The bottom of the bulkhead has rotted pretty badly in the head About 3 inches up or so. Can I just cut this portion out and fiberglass the remaining bottom of the bulkhead to the floor? It is rotted from water sitting in the floor pan from showers is my guess. It has done it in the other head also. It is a 78 Irwin 37 CC. I see no need in scarfing a new piece in or replacing the hole bulkhead. By bringing the floor-pan up the wall 4 inches or so I will be eliminate the problem for good.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The question is was the bulkhead attached to the hull or to the floor pan. If it was attached to the hull, and you're attaching it to the floor pan then the repair won't be sufficient, since you're not securing it properly and transferring the loads to the hull as it was doing originally...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-06-2009

I would fiberglass both sides of the bulkhead. One side to the head floor, and the other side to the cabin floor. Going up the wall 4 inches or so on each side.
Old 04-06-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, but if the bulkhead went down to the hull, instead of the cabin sole pan liners, your repair isn't going to be doing the same thing the original bulkhead was doing. If the original bulkhead went down, past the pan liners, to the hull, the repair needs to do the same.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-06-2009

Most of the wood is gone and it seems as if it just went down to the cabin sole pan liners and sat on top of that. Probable glued to the sole. I would just cut the bad area out and fiberglass it all up. I will be painting the bulkhead white later anyway. Will this make to strong of a structure/bulkhead? Thanks for your input.
Old 04-06-2009

rayncyn51 is on a distinguished road
If you cut out the rot, is there a place on the floorpan where the bulkhead was fastened before it rotted? If yes, I would want some sort of similar mechanical fastening in addition to the fiberglass laminate. If the evidence suggests that the bulkhead just sat on the pan, it may have done so because it is a non structural member intended to move seperately from the pan. In that case, you would not want to join the two.
Old 04-06-2009
Telstar 28

Any photos of the area???

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-06-2009

no pics at this time. I bought the boat down in Miami and will be going to bring it up to Panama City Fl at the end of the month. Just doing research on the things I found during the survey.