SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Streamstay top swivel problem (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/53235-streamstay-top-swivel-problem.html)

baboon 04-07-2009 03:16 PM

Streamstay top swivel problem

The top swivel on my 16 year old streamstay furler seems to be binding, the result being the halyard wrapping around the headstay. A replacement is available for $700 (just the swivel). The top of the unit has a lock wring which would require a 2 pin wrench to remove, under which is visable plastic bearings in an open race. I assume there are other sets of bearings not visable until it is pulled apart. Has anyone tried to rebuild this type of swivel? If so, can it be done on the foil, or does the whole thing have to come apart and the headstay pulled free of the bottom end to get the swivel off. I am trying to decide if it is worth it, or is it just time for a whole new system ($3K). Thanks!

sailingdog 04-07-2009 03:51 PM

Given the age of the furler, and the fact that you should probably replace the forestay when replacing the furler, I would go with a new unit. There have been a lot of advances in furling gear in the last 16 years.

Furlex, Harken, and Facnor are the brands I'd recommend.

Knot 2 Shore 05-24-2013 03:17 AM

Re: Streamstay top swivel problem

I repaired my streamstay 2. It started binding then one day I found some balls on deck. The furler was 31 years old.
Our swivel had four identical races, each containing 25 1/4" diameter balls (if I remember the number correctly). Each race consisted of two parts. One part was the inner and bottom of the race, the other was the outer and top of the race, The 1/4" balls ran between them. I dismantled, washed and cleaned the whole unit, bought and replaced the missing 1/4" balls and then put it all back together again.
I loosened the back stay, took out the fore stay pin at the top of the mast and slid the swivel off. I don't think this was absolutely necessary and it could all have been done at deck level with the swivel on the fore stay although it would have been more messy and awkward to thoroughly clean and check it all out. i.e why did it bind up in the first place. (in our case the top part of the race had bent back a little and allowed the balls to come out. To fix this I was forced to take the swivel off the foil)
There does appear to be a difference in the locking system of yours to ours. The swivel was held together with a large cir-clip ring, not a lock that required a two pin wrench.
Total cost of the repair was $10 as the minimum amount of balls I could buy was 100 and they were 10c each. $10 is a no brainer but for $700 I would look very seriously at a whole new modern furler.

sony2000 05-24-2013 07:22 AM

Re: Streamstay top swivel problem

My 1973 Streamstay was idle for 5-6 years and full of spider poop. Patience, penetraiting oil, and finally some movement, then full movement. All parts are replaceable from a dealer.