Join Date: May 2013
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Re: Streamstay top swivel problem
I repaired my streamstay 2. It started binding then one day I found some balls on deck. The furler was 31 years old.
Our swivel had four identical races, each containing 25 1/4" diameter balls (if I remember the number correctly). Each race consisted of two parts. One part was the inner and bottom of the race, the other was the outer and top of the race, The 1/4" balls ran between them. I dismantled, washed and cleaned the whole unit, bought and replaced the missing 1/4" balls and then put it all back together again.
I loosened the back stay, took out the fore stay pin at the top of the mast and slid the swivel off. I don't think this was absolutely necessary and it could all have been done at deck level with the swivel on the fore stay although it would have been more messy and awkward to thoroughly clean and check it all out. i.e why did it bind up in the first place. (in our case the top part of the race had bent back a little and allowed the balls to come out. To fix this I was forced to take the swivel off the foil)
There does appear to be a difference in the locking system of yours to ours. The swivel was held together with a large cir-clip ring, not a lock that required a two pin wrench.
Total cost of the repair was $10 as the minimum amount of balls I could buy was 100 and they were 10c each. $10 is a no brainer but for $700 I would look very seriously at a whole new modern furler.