Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-07-2009

PCP777 is on a distinguished road
Problems starting Merc 9.9 long shaft

I'm hoping you guys can help as I'm a total outboard novice, I truly don't know what I don't know:

I have a 2007 Merc 9.9 that is virtually brand new with very few hours that came with my C-25 that I bought 2 months ago. It starts fine and easy on the second pull while in the Marina but on my last two sails it was really difficult to start when we were ready to come back in.

The first time I attributed it to the fact that I didn't open the vent on the gas tank. I had to try and try and finally I think I used the throttle button on the side and it finally kicked to life. We had a high pucker moment as we had doused all the sails before we had the problems starting the engine but we were able to sail out to deeper water and resolve the issue.

The second time I'm not sure, this time I did vent the gas tank. The engine starts after two pulls in the marina. We motor out of the marina just fine, turn into the wind and raise the sails. I try to shut off the outboard and I was hitting and holding the red button on the end of the throttle and it just didn't want to quit. Finally I unplugged the fuel line and it took forever to quit. ( I was told to do this when I return to the marina to run it out of gas, but should I do this while out on the lake?) I pulled her up and sailed but the prop was still a bit in the water. After about a half hour after it had quit running The engine, with fuel line unplugged and starter ositon set to off, start acting like it was running again like just ticking with no thrust. This was intermittent. Finally, when we decided the weather was just a bit more rough than we'd like, I had a very very hard time getting it to start and actually run. Once again, I had to fiddle with the throttle button on the side before it would start again.

It's getting to the point that I'm afraid to take her out as getting back to the marina would be close to impossible just under sail. I'm sure I just don't know what I don't know and maybe someone can help me, send me to an outboards for idiots site or maybe I do have a problem with this motor.
1979 TR/FK #1390
~Stephanos~
Bayview Marina,
Lake Ray Hubbard
Dallas, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
When you just let it run untill it died the carb was drained. Did you pump the bulb untill it was hard before trying to restart?

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.

Last edited by timebandit; 04-07-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by timebandit View Post
When you just let it run untill it died the carb was drained. Did you pump the bulb untill it was hard before trying to restart?

Yes. I pumped the bulb on the gas tank until it was hard, pulled out the choke, and then used the little bulb on the engine that you push for gas. Then I'd try to start it, nothing.
1979 TR/FK #1390
~Stephanos~
Bayview Marina,
Lake Ray Hubbard
Dallas, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-07-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Check your fittings on the fuel line all the way around. I have found that those spring clamps attachments to the hose, typically used for outboard - have a tendency not to be snug. When they are not snug then air gets in and you start loosing the vacuum on the fuel line. When it is running the bulb should be hard and not easily compressible (I used the 9.9 on my mine). Do not know where you keep the tank as on my 27 I ran the fuel lines to the inboard tanks (has a atomic-4) and put a y valve for the portable tank that I usually kept in the aft storage locker. Unless it was low on fuel - then moved it up topside.

It could be you have something clogging the connections for the fuel system. Good time to inspect them at least and will not cost you anything to do....

And starting is always problematic on those unless used daily - keep the throttle about half way as you crank it ....

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 04-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
Check your fittings on the fuel line all the way around. I have found that those spring clamps attachments to the hose, typically used for outboard - have a tendency not to be snug. When they are not snug then air gets in and you start loosing the vacuum on the fuel line. When it is running the bulb should be hard and not easily compressible (I used the 9.9 on my mine). Do not know where you keep the tank as on my 27 I ran the fuel lines to the inboard tanks (has a atomic-4) and put a y valve for the portable tank that I usually kept in the aft storage locker. Unless it was low on fuel - then moved it up topside.

It could be you have something clogging the connections for the fuel system. Good time to inspect them at least and will not cost you anything to do....

You might have something there, I noted that the fuel line that plugs into the engine had a small leak around it where the spring clamp is and a bit of fuel was escaping. My gas tank is very close to the engine under the starboard cockpit seat aft so the line is in good condition and free of any tangles. I think I'll go to West and get a new clamp. Wouldn't this same problem crop up when I start her in the marina to take her out? thanks for the responses!
1979 TR/FK #1390
~Stephanos~
Bayview Marina,
Lake Ray Hubbard
Dallas, TX

Old 04-07-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
A few things

They allways start a bit different when there dead cold and 1/2 warm from a short sail

The choke usally has a few positions off / 1/2 / full

There will also be a "sweet spot" for the throttle that may take some time to learn

As far as running it out of fuel it would depend on how long it is sitting BUT that still leaves a LOT of fuel in the bowl which is why they have a drain screw for the bowl when you store the motor

I do NOT run it out of fuel Or drain it unless its going to be over two weeks

Also most of the aftermarket fuel line BULBS are garbage

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 04-08-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
"I try to shut off the outboard and I was hitting and holding the red button on the end of the throttle and it just didn't want to quit. Finally I unplugged the fuel line and took forever to quit."

The above makes me think that you may have a wireing problem in the handle.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 04-10-2009

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Adjustment problem on Merc 9.9

I had a similar problem on my Merc 9.9 (also a 2007 motor). When I took it into the dealer the mechanic knew right away that it was an adjustment problem on the throttle control. From his reaction it seemed like he'd seen quite a few of these and they did the repair under warranty.

After the adjustment the motor ran great and I never had another problem. I thought it was a great little motor. My guess is something wasn't adjusted correctly at a the factory on a bunch of these.

Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 04-10-2009

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
Sorry to say, the problems with your motor, are coming from your lack of understanding of it. I would suggest that you (1) take it to a qualified mechanic and have them repair it. (2) get an owners manual. (3) READ IT. (4) Follow it's directions. (5) Never adjust or repair, or let your unqualified friends TRY to fix, what you don't understand, if you do, start at step 1 again. Eventually you will either learn to repair this particular engine, or to leave well enough alone!

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
Old 04-10-2009

Siamese is on a distinguished road
Looks like you've already received some good advice here. I love outboards and still am using the 3 hp evinrude I got when I was 8 years old. I'm 55, now.

ALWAYS use use fresh fuel. ALWAYS use the best oil...the Mercury Quicksilver is very good, as is Johnson. End of season add fuel stabilizer to your tank and run the engine long enough to get the stabilizer into the entire fuel system. That's as good as or better than draining the system IMHO. You will be rewarded big-time for this.

Your problem: becuase you motor is so new, I would suspect that the dealer may well have enriched the carb setting for breaking in the motor. That's what they did with my my new Merc. Until I took it back to the dealer for adjustment to the normal setting, my engine, like yours, started just fine when cold, but was difficult to start when warm or half warm. Fussing with the choke or not using it all didn't help.

Unless you're handy with such things, looks like a trip to the dealer for you. On the bright side, if you had an inboard, that trip to the dealer would be a whole 'nuther thing.