SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Rusty spots on keel and hull keel joint

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 · (Edited)
I own a Jeanneau Attalia 32 1986 with some rust spots on the keel. I decided to investigate and ended up removing the sealant that I could remove, with a razor blade, around the hull keel joint.

I then sanded about 2 inches under the joint to as much shiny metal that I could, some spots are still black and no matter what I do they stay black, I suspect this is normal on cast iron.

After much reading, I found an article in this month Practical Sailor that basically walks through what was needed. Here is what I am planning to do:

1) Use Emery paper cloth to finish my sanding job
2) Clean with solvent
3) Use Interlux Viny-Lux Primewash to prime the metal
4) Cover with 2 coats of Interprotect 2000E
5) Re-Sealed the hull to Keel Joint with Silkaflex 291 lot, this is really a beading job (on this boat there is no keel stub, the joint is directly under the hull at a 90 degree angle)
6) Apply Antifouling

I was hoping that someone could help me out with this, the first problem that I have is that I need 50F or 10C minimum temperature to do this, looks like I will not get this in time for launch (I am in Toronto on Lake Ontario). Has anyone experienced using these chemicals at a lower temperature let’s say in the 45F/8C range? Are there any other options, I really need to do this, this weekend, and these are the temperature ranges forecasted?

I also wanted to know anyone’s experience with Cast Iron sanding, I mostly have shiny metal with black spots, I tried wire brushing, 35 grit paper, the black spots don’t come shiny, is this normal ?

Finally any comments on using Sikaflex for the joint? Should it be applied to the bare metal or on top of the epoxy coat ?

Thanks

First time boat owner trying to figure things out :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Why not setup a tent and put a flood light or heat lamp inside it... that would raise the temp locally to high enough that the IP2KE and SikaFlex 291 would cure properly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.