Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-09-2009

preservedkillick is on a distinguished road
How to join big wires to little wires

Hi everyone,

I've got to join some big wires to little wires. For example, I've run 12 & 10 awg to some lights which have pigtails that look like 16 awg. The one I've done, I twisted, soldered and then heat shrinked. Is there some sort of mechanical crimp connection like a butt connector that connects different sizes wires? What's commonly done? Soldering is a pain (and controversial). I've also got some lights, the wires are tiny. Short of a wire nut, how do I connect to that!!??

Any advice appreciated.

Preserved.

-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Seagrass
Boothbay Harbor, ME
Alberg 30:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Use a bus bar..

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 04-09-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A terminal strip is one option. A step-down-butt splice connector would work as well. However, a terminal strip is simpler in some ways and allows you to disconnect the light in the case you need to replace the fixture.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-10-2009
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Pig tail

Why not use a twist on pig tail connector if you're afraid of soldering, which I would do.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 04-10-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Twist on pig tail type connectors are really not a good idea on a boat. They can trap moisture and cause corrosion issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwayneSpeer View Post
Why not use a twist on pig tail connector if you're afraid of soldering, which I would do.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-10-2009
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Yes, but they are the easiest to replace if they fail. And you can always use some of that special sealing grease on the connector and inside of it. Unfortunately I can remember what the grease is but it is used inside of electrical and electromechanical equipment to keep out moisture.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Last edited by DwayneSpeer; 04-10-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-10-2009
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
step down butt splices are good. If you don't have any - use regular butt splices of next larger size and put both wires inside one end - it crimps well, and creates just as good of a connection. It is probably a good idea to close the other end - I use liquid electric tape for that.
Old 04-10-2009

floatsome is on a distinguished road
Crimp on boats, not wire nuts.

Last edited by floatsome; 04-10-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-10-2009

preservedkillick is on a distinguished road
Well,

Thanks Sailingdog, I was able to find some step-down butt splices today at Battery World here in Portland Maine. Just what I was looking for. I thought something like that must exist, I'd just never seen any.

I must say, this rewiring project is way more work than I anticipated. A big part of this for me has been collecting of materials. I can go to a supply store (hour away) stock up on what I'm sure will be enough, and of course it's not. I wasn't good enough to buy everything I need at once. At this point I've replaced every wire and fixture on the boat, except for the engine harness. Next time (never) I'll be much more efficient. And, for those thinking of undertaking this project, expect it to cost much more than you think. Take no shortcuts, use good materials, good tools, and you'll be surprised how much all these little parts add up.

Killick

Seagrass
Boothbay Harbor, ME
Alberg 30:
Old 04-10-2009
Telstar 28

IIRC, that Battery World is the one Maine Sail shops at... they're a good source for FTZ heat shrink terminals and Berkshire wire—both of which are superior to and less expensive than Ancor's equivalent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by preservedkillick View Post
Well,

Thanks Sailingdog, I was able to find some step-down butt splices today at Battery World here in Portland Maine. Just what I was looking for. I thought something like that must exist, I'd just never seen any.

I must say, this rewiring project is way more work than I anticipated. A big part of this for me has been collecting of materials. I can go to a supply store (hour away) stock up on what I'm sure will be enough, and of course it's not. I wasn't good enough to buy everything I need at once. At this point I've replaced every wire and fixture on the boat, except for the engine harness. Next time (never) I'll be much more efficient. And, for those thinking of undertaking this project, expect it to cost much more than you think. Take no shortcuts, use good materials, good tools, and you'll be surprised how much all these little parts add up.

Killick

Telstar 28
New England