Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: yanmar manual crank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leocat66 View Post
We have a 3GM 30 F. I did not think the fresh water cooled engines hand crank option could be used at all, as things seem to be in the way of the access of the crank receptacle. I have been told that only the salt water cooled 3 GM was set up for hand cranking.

Had an old Volvo in the past, with a huge fly wheel, which was fairly easy to crank with the decompression levers released. Not that crazy about Volvos but it was nice to know that you had that option if the starter went south.
I have the Yanmar 3gmd (sea water cooled). It is set up for hand crank start. I have tried to find a starter handle (none came with boat) but no luck. Access is so limited (v-drive) hand start would be difficult, or maybe impossible due to crank clearance required. I do like that spring starter.

FYI: Checked the "Spring Starter" supplier mentioned in earlier post- they do not carry a spring starter for Yanmar 3GMD.

Last edited by casey1999; 05-10-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2012

jcboyce is on a distinguished road

If you have a 3GM20 Rather then th, You mige 3GM30 You might want to try. Most used marine chandleries eventualy come up with a crank.
If not a welder can make one frpm a pipe or rod the right size, welded to a peice of bar stock, with a bolt inside a pipe welded on to serve as a handle, slotting of 90 deg on either side R or L for direction.

as to the 3 GM 30 F, the nearest one is 2 slips over & its 11 PM. If I remember ther is a belt gaurd, blocking the normal crank access, which is capted.
I'm not quit as crazy as I used to be, But I think it could be done.
But as I said when I went to pick up a 40 cruising catch, for the sea scouts, & found the starter was bad, Any mariner worth his salt would have a spare and it should be in this drawer here. It was one up.
Ifyou don't want to get a hole starter used, Get a new Cylinoid. my 2QM15 Cylinoid is used by several manafactures. the cheapest sells for about $14
JC Boyce
Old 03-16-2013

toolarts12 is on a distinguished road

Have you tried flipping all the compression levers up, getting the crank turning, and then popping 1 compression lever? I have found the 3 GM will run very nicely with only one cylinder firing. Once it cranks on its own--on one cylinder, try popping the other levers one by one. I am pretty sure this would work as long as it isn't too cold outside.

I can't test it...I have a crank, but the position of the engine makes it impossible to operate.
Old 03-16-2013

NCC320 is on a distinguished road

My previous boat had the YSM-12 (single cylinder) and my battery was forever dying. With the compression lever closed, it was impossible for me to use the crank to turn the engine over. With the compression lever open, it was stiff, especially when cold, but I could do it. To deal with the compression lever, I used an expandable boat hook which I could wedge between the galley cabinet and the lever to hold the lever open. Then, with both hands, cranking as hard as I could and getting the engine turning as fast as I could, I would pull the boat hook away, the spring loaded compression lever would close, and usually, the engine would start. Sometimes it took several tries....each try tended to heat the compression chamber a little I think. My set up was such that if the boat hook slipped out of place it wasn't going to get hung up in the running parts and be a safety issue. I didn't know about the WD-40 trick....it would have made life easier.
Old 09-02-2013

Bacchus258 is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know where to buy the crank handle? Some in this post said they bought one but my Google searches come up empty. Any help is appreciated as always.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-02-2013
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough

I have one you can have it I knew where you lived (Hint - fill out your Profile)

Rik
The Following User Says Thank You to rikhall For This Useful Post:
Bacchus258 (09-02-2013)
Old 09-02-2013

THEFRENCHA is on a distinguished road

If your starter works well on bench but very slow when installed ...and after your have cleaned your ground connection you might want to bypass all the harness and connectors and install a push button right on the starter

I did this for when battery is weak or when the stupid Yanmar electrical harness creates problems
Never failed and a very good back up to use when you need your engine running NOW and don't have time to check where the problem is

In your case I would also check if the seacock was closed During your several attempt to start you might have flooded your engine with seawater. The compression would explain why the starter cannot make the engine turn fast enough to start Check your oil level and COLOR
Old 09-02-2013

Bacchus258 is on a distinguished road

Rikhall,

It has been updated and I tried to send a PM but I have not posted enough to do that yet. My email is bruceharang@gmail.com if you would send me an email I will email you my address.

Thank you, Bruce
rikhall likes this.
Old 09-03-2013
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough

Bruce - I sent an email with pics

Rik
Old 10-10-2013

White Knight is on a distinguished road

From my experience with hand starting a 2QM20,it comes down to timing.It is imperative that the decomp lever is flicked over just as you are starting to "lift" the crank handle,about 7 o'clock is the right position.It also helps to be a weight lifter.
Chris
LFH Leaboard Ketch "Tern"