Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2009

bradfalk is on a distinguished road
yanmar manual crank?

hi all,

I have a yanmar 2gm20f on a caliber 28'- how important is it to get my hands on a manual crank to start the engine if the started motor dies? I've heard mixed things and some people say it's so hard to manually start the thing that it's not worth buying and crank. anyone have experience with this and/or know where I could buy one?

also- anyone know of a better yanmar "manual" than the "yanmar manual?" I have probably already learned most of the important things from friends but would like a better source than that lousy manual.

thanks in advance-

brad
Old 04-09-2009

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
I am a day fresh out of mack boring's yanmar small diesel class, the manuals were probably stiff for those people because they wernt doing it right, on top of the valve cover there are a couple little tabs and if you release them they will let out the compression making it easy to crank, so you crank it as fast as you can and once you get it up there you click them back to fire it right up. If it is just the operating manual that probably isn't going to tell you too much a service manual will have tons more info.
Old 04-09-2009

paulk is on a distinguished road
We have a Yanmar 3GM that we have tried to hand crank on numerous occaisions. Despite releasing the compression tabs and having a hefty winch gorilla swinging the handle, we have not been able to "fire it right up" at all. Nothing seems to work but the electric starter, so we have ramped up our solar charger so the batteries are fully charged all the time. We have no problems pushing the starter button, and if it has fuel, the engine runs.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Last year when my starter died on my Yanmar, we tried to use the crank. Even using the compression levers we could never get it to turn over. End result we broke the doodad that the handle slides into - but since we could never get it to go at sufficient speed to turn over by cranking never fixed it. Just my experience. Do however, check into the price of new versus rebuilds - sometimes new is actually cheaper than rebuilding or purchasing a rebuilt starter.

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-09-2009
Coastal Traveler

nereussailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nereussailor
Which manual are you talking about, the owners manual or the repair manual? I bought the repair manual, and it is very descriptive about everything on the motor. I believe it was around $65
rikhall likes this.
Old 04-10-2009

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
Don't buy a manual - anything you need is at this website:

Yanmar 2GM & Related Links

Old 04-10-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
WAY back when (1974) i have seen single cylinder diesels that had GIANT flywheels that would allow you to spinup the motor buy hand and the flywheel stored enough engery to start the motor after you poped the compression release

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 12-13-2011

jcboyce is on a distinguished road
As an old Mariner my first responce is better of not printed, I have had several 30Plus vessels with no Engine.
My Yanmar is of the 15 HP, but I'm only Documented at 11 tons.
Crank Starting a 40 HP Deisel can be done. Genneraly by three large men, cranking to build up enough heat to ignite the fuel since the 3GM has no glow plugs, to ignite the fuel.
Do you need a crank, Back in the 70s I knew a guy that had 3 hurnia opperations before he listened to his doctor and put a winch on the bow to pull up his anchor.
Do you Sail outside of the relm of help? Do You have a towing sevice that will jump start the engine?
Granted I live Motto, If you can't get yourself home, don't take your self to sea. If It won't run, & I can't sail out I tow it with my diny.
If you want to be able to take care of your self, gear a small portable diesel gen
Boyce
Old 12-13-2011
"Sparkie"

j34035 is on a distinguished road
If you rub 2 sticks togeather fast enough you can build a fire, too. Never seen either one work............
Jboat J/37c (new to me Jan 2011); J/22 #1003

Old 12-13-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
In the early 70's I had a boat with a Volvo MD-1 (with the big flywheel) and I hand started it a few times to prove it could be done.

My current Yanmar YSE-8 - no such luck. I think if you were really mad maybe.

I agree about the manual - don't buy one as the service manuals are all on line.