yanmar wont start((winterized)) - SailNet Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 04-10-2009 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 153
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
yanmar wont start((winterized))

i could tare down a outboard with my eyes closed BUT deisals are chinese to me like what the heck its getting fuel and air ok wheres the spark plug
this is a diffrent beast alltogether all the filters are new no water in fuel air cleaner looks clean (((what the heck are those 2 levers on top of the heads)) hmm somthing about compression ? ok i can see i'm gonna need some sort of service manual here also some sort of fuel primer screw thingy good grief should be an intresting summer ANY HELP HERE WOULD BE ...WELL HELPFUL ENgine cranks over but does not start
codmander is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 04-10-2009
Senior Member
 
NOLAsailing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mandeville, LA
Posts: 504
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
What model Yanmar? The two levers are decompression levers - when you pull them up, the motor will turn over but not fire. They are very useful when bleeding the engine, which is what I'll guess you need to do to get the motor running.

This may help (click)

-Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NOLAsailing is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #3 of 18 Old 04-10-2009
Senior Member
 
NOLAsailing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mandeville, LA
Posts: 504
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
No spark plugs - the motor uses compression, not spark, to fire.

-Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NOLAsailing is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #4 of 18 Old 04-10-2009
Senior Member
 
tommays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,296
Thanks: 1
Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Also if you crank most motors more that 30 seconds you should drain the waterlift muffler as there is no exaust to push the water out and it can backflow into the motor

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY


If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tommays is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #5 of 18 Old 04-10-2009
DrB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New England
Posts: 966
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
My guess, air in fuel lines.....

which you will need to bleed out before the motor will fire.

Sounds like you have a 2 cylinder (2 levers) motor. On my 3 cylinder Yanmar, the compression levers, are forward (I think) when the motor is under full compression. Check those to see if they are in the right position first. Maybe call Mack-Boring (Yanmar Distributor) to make sure.

Aside for the compression levels, any air in the fuel lines will cause the motor not to fire. I'll try to verbally walk you through bleeding the lines, but there is a video/picture explanation from another Sailnet member (ArtbyJody?) that explains with pictures, but I can't seem to find it. A Yanmar manual will also have diagrams.

My attempt:
  • If you have a Racor or other fuel filter/waterseparator, you need to get the air out of that first.
  • There are two screws on to of the Racor filter, a larger thumb screw and a smaller slotted screw.
  • Unscrew the larger thumb screw and raise it. It is a small pumping handle
  • Unscrew the smaller screw all the way. This is the bleed vent.
  • Pump the handle until only fuel comes out of the bleed screw. This may take a few minutes. If you want to speed it up, use a small eye dropper and drip in CLEAN diesel in the bleed vent until you can't put any more in.
  • Close off the pump screw and close the bleed screw.
  • Go to the Primary fuel filter (on the motor) and crack the small screw in the center of the top of the fuel filter housing
  • Locate the priming fuel lift pump on the motor and press it until you displace all of the air in the line. This may take a few minutes.
  • When no more air comes out, close the bleed screw and go to the bleed screw just before the injectors.
  • Crack the screw and repump the fuel lift pump until a steady stream of fuel comes out.
  • Tighten the screw, clean up any diesel spill, and try to refire the motor.

You may have to rebleed the fuel line if the motor fires and then shuts down a few minutes later. Some fuel lines have a secondary high point in them where air can be come trapped. This trapped air has now been pushed to the motor and needs to be bled off.

DrB

Last edited by DrB; 04-10-2009 at 09:18 AM.
DrB is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #6 of 18 Old 04-10-2009
Senior Member
 
mrwuffles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 702
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
Also if you crank most motors more that 30 seconds you should drain the waterlift muffler as there is no exaust to push the water out and it can backflow into the motor
or close the sea ****, just remember to close it again

What's a signature?????
mrwuffles is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #7 of 18 Old 04-10-2009 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 153
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAsailing View Post
What model Yanmar? The two levers are decompression levers - when you pull them up, the motor will turn over but not fire. They are very useful when bleeding the engine, which is what I'll guess you need to do to get the motor running.

This may help (click)

these levers are in the up position maybe that simple? gonna try now brb
codmander is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #8 of 18 Old 04-10-2009 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 153
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
not sure on the model 1981 2 lumper I''ll ckeck around for the ## front of motor ...i think
......... no turbo of course on the # plack says --2g--- than its covered up by a bracket

Last edited by codmander; 04-10-2009 at 12:22 PM.
codmander is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #9 of 18 Old 04-10-2009 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 153
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwuffles View Post
or close the sea ****, just remember to close it again

not in the water at preasnt still on jacks converted a outboard muffler for salt water pick up
codmander is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #10 of 18 Old 04-10-2009 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 153
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrB View Post
which you will need to bleed out before the motor will fire.

Sounds like you have a 2 cylinder (2 levers) motor. On my 3 cylinder Yanmar, the compression levers, are forward (I think) when the motor is under full compression. Check those to see if they are in the right position first. Maybe call Mack-Boring (Yanmar Distributor) to make sure.

Aside for the compression levels, any air in the fuel lines will cause the motor not to fire. I'll try to verbally walk you through bleeding the lines, but there is a video/picture explanation from another Sailnet member (ArtbyJody?) that explains with pictures, but I can't seem to find it. A Yanmar manual will also have diagrams.

My attempt:
  • If you have a Racor or other fuel filter/waterseparator, you need to get the air out of that first.
  • There are two screws on to of the Racor filter, a larger thumb screw and a smaller slotted screw.
  • Unscrew the larger thumb screw and raise it. It is a small pumping handle
  • Unscrew the smaller screw all the way. This is the bleed vent.
  • Pump the handle until only fuel comes out of the bleed screw. This may take a few minutes. If you want to speed it up, use a small eye dropper and drip in CLEAN diesel in the bleed vent until you can't put any more in.
  • Close off the pump screw and close the bleed screw.
  • Go to the Primary fuel filter (on the motor) and crack the small screw in the center of the top of the fuel filter housing
  • Locate the priming fuel lift pump on the motor and press it until you displace all of the air in the line. This may take a few minutes.
  • When no more air comes out, close the bleed screw and go to the bleed screw just before the injectors.
  • Crack the screw and repump the fuel lift pump until a steady stream of fuel comes out.
  • Tighten the screw, clean up any diesel spill, and try to refire the motor.

You may have to rebleed the fuel line if the motor fires and then shuts down a few minutes later. Some fuel lines have a secondary high point in them where air can be come trapped. This trapped air has now been pushed to the motor and needs to be bled off.

DrB
Roger will do at least I'm STARTING to understand this motor a bit still cant find the dip stick tho lol sad as that sounds
codmander is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help YANMAR engine mount Giulietta Gear & Maintenance 20 04-15-2010 01:15 PM
Yanmar Problem Solved... Warren M. Gear & Maintenance 1 09-01-2008 09:39 PM
Yanmar Engine Mount Specifications HenryTully Gear & Maintenance 4 06-27-2008 10:20 AM
Yanmar 3gmd Question nk235 Gear & Maintenance 4 03-12-2008 04:48 PM
ATF or SAE ? Yanmar 4JH2E / Trans: KM4A TAK Gear & Maintenance 4 11-05-2007 10:34 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome