Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-29-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Origo stoves

I have used Origos for the past 15 years. I love them. I took out the propane and installed a two burner with an oven on my present boat. I must say that the oven is not built as nicely as the stove but it works quite well.

The heat output seems about the same as most marine propane stove (I believe that when new the typical propane burner puts out less than 10% more heat but looses that advatage over time.) I baked a quiche in mine last weekend and it came out quite good and in about the same time as it would take ashore.

The trick to filling the burners in rough weather is to buy a camp stove fuel container. These have a pour spout that works perfectly with alcohol and seals tightly.

I use about betwen a half and 3/4 gallon a year in pretty heavy weekend useage (maybe 10 weekend a year) and a longer cruise (maybe a week to 12 days).

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2002

petercra is on a distinguished road
Origo stoves

I recently bought an Origo 3000 and am very pleased with it. Practical Sailor has a review of stoves in its March 2002 issue which says that the boiling time for a quart of water is 11.5 minutes on the Origo vs. 5.5 minutes on a couple of Butane stoves. I don''t buy that. I did my own test and found a much faster boiling time, about 8 minutes for the Origo. My home electric stove was only 1.5 minutes faster. Given that full heat is typically used only to get the pot and food hot, then the heat is turned down, a couple of minutes each day out of .5 to 1 hour spent cooking is insignificant.

See also www.boatus.com/goodoldboat/cookingfuels.htm for an excellent comparison of various stove types. Alcohol has half of the BTU/lb. of propane, but a 10 lb. propane tank weighs about 10 pounds empty and 20 pounds full. The weight of an empty alcohol jar is minimal. Thus effective weight per BTU for the fuel system is about the same. Alcohol is way ahead in terms of BTUs per unit volume. It weighs 6-7 pounds per gallon whereas a 10 pound propane tank takes up about 6 gallons of space (and they''re round so there''s even more wasted space). That''s about 1.6 pounds per gallon of fuel. Propane takes up twice the volume per BTU compared to alcohol.
But heat content of the fuel is not relevant except maybe on a long voyage where space and volume are concerns. The question is how much heat does the burner put out. If one looks at the Origo specs a burner puts out 7000 BTU/hr., propane stove burners are 5000-8000 BTU/hr.
All of the data point to a very effective stove, very safe, and much less expensive than retrofitting propane. I replaced a 20 year old non-pressurized alcohol stove and notice a huge difference in heat output. The burners were clogged and I wasted a lot of time and effort trying to fix. Quite simply alcohol stove got a bad name due to these stoves.
The only drawback is some odor and wooziness in closed cabins. I''ve been using S-L-X denatured alcohol (cheap at Home Depot). Perhaps Soot Free would be better, it''s a couple of bucks a gallon extra. Consumption was less than 1 gallon on a 3 week cruise, cooking every night and coffee water in the morning.
Old 11-06-2002

laboheme is on a distinguished road
Origo stoves

I have a two burner Origo and used it when we lived aboard and it worked great. I thought it boiled water just fine and worked for the pressure cooker, too. I wonder about the model with oven. Does anyone know if it takes lots of fuel for that? I am considering that or a diesel stove - right now I have the Origo two burner and a wood burning cook stove. I plan to replace the wood burner but haven''t decided on which type to get. Don''t want propane.
Old 05-28-2007
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
Wow, so glad to find this post. I have an older Morgan OI 30 and it has a relatively new Origo 2 burner. I will now give it a 'fair' chance. Nearly got rid of it for propane which I've used and was very happy with but the cost of conversion would have been expensive. THANKS!
Old 05-28-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Alcohol is probably the most expensive fuel, per btu. Also, be careful with alcohol stoves, as if you try to refill the cans while they're still hot, you can get a nasty, almost invisible fire for your troubles.

Finally, alcohol fires can be somewhat problematic and difficult to extinguish. There have been reported cases of burning alcohol "floating" on top of water used to put out the fire, and starting a fire elsewhere in the boat—dry chem extinguishers are probably best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-28-2007

dmchose is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to dmchose Send a message via Skype™ to dmchose
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
There have been reported cases of burning alcohol "floating" on top of water used to put out the fire, and starting a fire elsewhere in the boat—dry chem extinguishers are probably best.
We always carried a pour spout type of container, of salt for that. Many times, perhaps too many, I remember a leaking stove creating the " invisable flame" and having to use salt on the stove area at sea.Maybe that is why dad always was busy at the helm Anywho, I learned that hair grows back quick, salt is cheap, and finally how to rebuild a alcohol at 14.
Don Mc
Old 05-28-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Baking soda works quite well and is a bit less corrosive than salt. Absorbs nasty odors too.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-28-2007
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
When our good friends had a very nasty boat fire during the Newport Folk Festival a couple years ago, we were very glad to have propane fuled appliances onboard our boat.

His Pearson 33's alcohol stove, inadvertantly leaked fuel into the bilge as he tried priming the cup on his pressurized Kenyon unit. Once ignited the cabin was ablaze, resulting in 10 music lovers jumping overboard . . . a near total disaster.

Fortunately, the captain was sober enough to extinguish the flames before his vessel sunk.
Old 11-22-2008

t6im is on a distinguished road
New model Origo 4100 FIRE

Beware the slide controls and components are made of a VERY flamable plastic. Almost ruined my week at Catalina when they caught fire. My wife was making hash brown patatoes for breakfast on a griddle. The griddle apparently held in to much heat. She called me in the cabin and said the "knobs are melting". Just as I looked in fire erupted. She had already removed the patatoes so I calmly grabbed the pot holders and carried the griddle outside and thru it in the Pacific Ocean. Then I went inside grabbing the extinguisher on the way, pointing it into the hole where the slide control used to be I gave it one short blast.
THIS COULD HAVE ENDED IN DISASTER!!!!!!
We have used that same griddle many times before with no problem.
I called Swego (941-355-0248) and ordered replacement slide controls, part#388027-81 SLIDE CONTROL KIT. There is one slide control per kit.
They must know of the problem because the replacement parts are metal. TIM, Bayliner 2452
Old 11-23-2008

jpn01 is on a distinguished road
Origo stove and heater

I have had the two burner non-press Origo stove and think it is great. Maybe not quite as hot as propane but easier, safe, compact and light. Buy an extra fuel cannister and fill it when convenient. Put a cap on the spare cannister and it's at the ready if you need i. I would not expect it to store full for long periods but to make sure your stove stays hot while preping dinner, it's a great insurance policy. BTW the Heat Pal by Origo uses the same canister and is the perfect heat accessory for boats. It's portable, safe(within reason) and puts out a lot of warmth. Great suggestion, use high quality alcohol fuel only.