SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Origo stoves (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/5335-origo-stoves.html)

JIO 10-29-2002 07:30 AM

Origo stoves

Looking for feedback on the Origo stove line that uses non pressurized alcohol. It appears to be easy to use and ignite as well as not having any major downsides/dangerous aspects as one might have with propane (explosions) if the system was not properly maintained or had a faulty installation.

Some have told me that it is not a "hot" flame and that it takes forever to boil water and cook with this system. This feedback with 3rd hand, however, not from folks with this system. Can anyone with the system speak to this?

Is Origo the only player in the non pressurized alcohol arena? If others exist, anyone know the company names?

My goals for cooking are to have a system that I can use for short trips (mostly weekends, occasionaly up to 10 days of cruising). Probably will not use oven much, but want to boil water for coffee/tea and use grill tops for some cooking.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Quida123 10-29-2002 07:33 AM

Origo stoves

I had the stovetop 2 burner model and it worked fine ! It would boat water just fine and fry up eggs and bacon in the morning. Maybe a tiny bit less output than propane but was so easy to use and safe, that I didn''t mind. Of course not as convenient as propane, but worked fine.

RichardElliott 10-29-2002 09:30 AM

Origo stoves

Love the 2 burner Orrigo. Just in case, I bought a one burner butane stove for boiling water, the type omelette chefs use. The Orrigo works so well that the butane stove is never used. Filling the alcohol cannisters every three days or so is a bit of a nuisance on a long cruise. Be sure to buy soot free alcohol to keep the galley slave happy!

bmcald 10-29-2002 09:45 AM

Origo stoves

I use an Origo one-burner for short trips and overnights. Only drawback I know of is that the flame is hard to see. I haven''t tried any real cooking, just heating up water or a can of Dinty Moores stew. It does both very quickly.

I prefer it over pressurized stoves, whether alcohol or propane, because it is simpler and safer.

pirateofcapeann 10-29-2002 02:05 PM

Origo stoves

I lived and cruised for 7 years aboard my Columbia 22, Olde Blue with a two burner Origo. I suppose I''ve done everything from heaving too and making coffee in force 7 to baking bread in a "oven" contraption I made to go on top of it. As far as I''m concerned, there is no better cook stove to be had! Mine was an older type. The flame concentrated to a tip in the center which was not so good for making omelets or pancakes, but I made "flame spreader" pieces to go over the burners and all was well. A friend of mine just bought a new Origo for his boat and it seems that the company has got the same idea and now they supply the new stoves with these inserts. The only problems I''ve found was that filling the burners in a seaway could be a bit of an act and burning raw alcohol can be a bit noxious in an enclosed boat. Otherwise, the peace of mind over propane and less hassle then the patria pressurized fuel stoves makes the Origo stove a near perfect galley mate! I’ve noticed a raw alcohol stove, I think it was a “Kenyon” but it appears to be just an Origo with a different company’s name attached.

flyingbear 10-29-2002 02:35 PM

Origo stoves

I used to own an Olson 911S which came equiped with an Origo 2 burner stove. The stove worked great and seemed to heat water just fine. Cooked some fairly gourmet meals on it too. I filled the canisters while at see using an old cleaned tuna can with a number of hole punched in the bottom with an awl. If I remember right, it was about 5 holes about 1/16" in size. The tuna can just fit into the opening on top of the canister. I measured how many tuna cans it took to fill the canister. Made filling at sea much easier. I don''t remember how many cans it took for a fill.

windship36 10-29-2002 03:38 PM

Origo stoves

We have a 2 burner with oven and have been totally pleased with it''s opeaartion...lots of heat, cooks fairly quickly, little mess and NO DANGER...highly recommend this type of stove but consider getting the oven too. Great to warm up meat pies etc on the cool Canadaian autumn and spring evenings...Cap''n Bob www.windship.cjb.net

dhartdallas 10-29-2002 03:46 PM

Origo stoves

Ahoy Windship. That''s what I''m talking about. Welcome to the conversation.

dhartdallas 10-29-2002 03:50 PM

Origo stoves

Ahoy, pirateofcapeann. I lived aboard a 24 footer. I thought that was tight. If you lived aboard a 22 footer you are a good man, Charlie Brown.

dhartdallas 10-29-2002 03:56 PM

Origo stoves

I found that a cast iron pot with a heavy lid, and a pressure cooker both make pretty good ovens in a pinch. I baked bread, meat, and whatever in them.