Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-10-2009

andyjen is on a distinguished road
am/fm/cd player installation

I am about to install an am fm cd player in my Catalina 22. Can anyone help me with a good location or slick idea to mount the marine flush mount speakers for the cockpit ? I did not want to attach box speakers to the pulpits.(rails) I also understand they will affect my compass that is mounted starboard of the companionway. Any other warnings or tips would be appreciated, Thank You, Andy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're going to mount flush mount speakers in the cockpit in a space that empties into the bilge, then I highly recommend you mount the speakers behind deckplates that can be closed off in heavy weather. If the boat gets pooped, the speakers can easily become 6" holes to flood the boat with...so you really should mount them behind deckplates if they open to the bilge.

As for the stereo... I would recommend getting an Alpine car stereo and mounting it down below and getting the marine wired remote for it, and mounting the remote in the cockpit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-10-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Andy...see my car stereo thread and then ask any further questions you have. For the radio...if you don't have a good place to mount it you will need a universal underdash mount:

As for the speakers...mount them at calf level in the cockpit as flush mount speakers. If you need to cover them up down below...get speaker back covers sold by anyone who does in wall or in ceiling audio installations.
Old 04-11-2009

Deck plates over speakers?

If I cut a large hole for the deck plate to cover the flush mount speaker with grill what is their to mount the speaker to. Do they have deck plates that protrude out so you can just cut the hole for the six inch speaker and screw the deck plate around it? Thank you, Andy
Old 04-11-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You mount the speaker inside the coaming or space, behind where the deckplate is mounted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjen View Post
If I cut a large hole for the deck plate to cover the flush mount speaker with grill what is their to mount the speaker to. Do they have deck plates that protrude out so you can just cut the hole for the six inch speaker and screw the deck plate around it? Thank you, Andy

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-11-2009

saildork is on a distinguished road
Andy,

Most of the flush-mounted speakers I've seen have been where Cam just suggested. It is possible that you could mount them in the coamings if there is enough space between the coaming and the hull topside.

For additional tips for this and other projects, check out the C22 site at catalina22.org. Click on links, then click on Skip Meisch's website. Then click on 'other upgrades' in the table of contents there. You can then click on 'Scott Sauve's upgrades' to find where he mounted his radio and the speakers he placed inside the cabin.

In the process of following these links, you'll find links to the sites of other C22 owners and the improvements they've made to their boats. It's amazing the things people have done to their C22s to make them more comfortable. Check out 'ChipsAhoy' by Chip Ford, for example.

Good luck on this project and post pictures when you're done. I've been thinking about mounting speakers in my cockpit, too, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Too many other projects on my plate.

Pat
Old 04-11-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Forget the deck plate...you ain't going to sea in a C22!!
Search the internet to find a boat sunk because of speaker holes!!
Old 04-11-2009

comraderie

I like your level of common sense. All others I honor your leval of proffesionalism. I will mount them calf high, I am sailing on Seneka lake. I may install scuppers to meet you all half way.