Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-11-2009

kmdudley7 is on a distinguished road
lazy jacks system

I did see a post on here somewhere about lazy jacks. Well just want to give my 2 cents worth. I bought our hunter back in DEC 08, and necer used the lazy jacks until a week or so.. My 2 cents worth?? Thsy worked great for dropping the main, as far as raising the main?? Fu;; length battens hanging up on spreaders. So any way I like my lazy jacks for raising..
Marky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
I agree, except that a system in which the jacks can be stowed when raising the main are even better, such as E-Z-JAX Systems

From their website:
The patented E-Z-JAX sail control system retracts neatly and easily below the boom when you are not using it. Most lazy jacks are designed to be left up all the time. Why is this unique feature so important?

- Eliminates chafing - Your E-Z-JAX doesn't touch the sail while you are sailing.

- No sail or sail cover modifications - Your E-Z-JAX will fit neatly under your existing sail cover.

- Eliminates battens catching - Leave the E-Z-JAX retracted when raising your sail, no problem.

- No interference with awnings - The retracted E-Z-JAX is out of the way for above-boom awnings.

The E-Z-JAX System has up to 4 lines on each side of the boom, depending on boom length. Most lazy jacks have only 2 or 3.

MORE LINES = BETTER CONTROL

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-11-2009

GoslingNY is on a distinguished road
I've built quite a few lazyjacks using 1/8" Amsteel with no blocks except for a couple of cheeks on the mast. They are easily deployed and when not being used, bundle up to the mast so they are out of the way.

If interested, pm me with an email address and I'll send a sketch along.

Cheers,

MikeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I agree, except that a system in which the jacks can be stowed when raising the main are even better, such as E-Z-JAX Systems

From their website:
The patented E-Z-JAX sail control system retracts neatly and easily below the boom when you are not using it. Most lazy jacks are designed to be left up all the time. Why is this unique feature so important?

- Eliminates chafing - Your E-Z-JAX doesn't touch the sail while you are sailing.

- No sail or sail cover modifications - Your E-Z-JAX will fit neatly under your existing sail cover.

- Eliminates battens catching - Leave the E-Z-JAX retracted when raising your sail, no problem.

- No interference with awnings - The retracted E-Z-JAX is out of the way for above-boom awnings.

The E-Z-JAX System has up to 4 lines on each side of the boom, depending on boom length. Most lazy jacks have only 2 or 3.

MORE LINES = BETTER CONTROL
Old 04-11-2009

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Let me second (third) those who recommend stowing lazy jacks when not in use. Most of the lazy jacks systems I use will stow. There are some badly designed built-in sail covers that make this impossible. If I had them on a boat I would modifying the system.

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 04-11-2009
Banned

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdudley7 View Post
I did see a post on here somewhere about lazy jacks. Well just want to give my 2 cents worth. I bought our hunter back in DEC 08, and necer used the lazy jacks until a week or so.. My 2 cents worth?? Thsy worked great for dropping the main, as far as raising the main?? Fu;; length battens hanging up on spreaders. So any way I like my lazy jacks for raising..
Marky

If your battens are hanging up on your SPREADERS, I don't think your problem is your lazy jacks. Try putting the bow into the wind!
Old 04-11-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoslingNY View Post
I've built quite a few lazyjacks using 1/8" Amsteel with no blocks except for a couple of cheeks on the mast. They are easily deployed and when not being used, bundle up to the mast so they are out of the way.

If interested, pm me with an email address and I'll send a sketch along.

Cheers,

MikeR
It's nice to see another rigger around these parts.

I make my lazy jack systems either from 1/4" or 5/16" double braid dacron.
I've never seen any reason to make them from hi tech line.
Depending on the size of the boat, I will make a three, four or five drop system.
I use the "halyard" or "adjustable" portion of the system for the forward most drop. The "halyard is made long enough so that it can be eased so that the system can be retracted to lay along the boom and mast. Usually the retracted system can be hooked under the winches or reef hooks. No sail cover modification need be made.
I will usually splice the eyes around stainless steel or nylon thimbles. I choose thimbles that are small enough that the diameter of the line prevents the thimble from being able to contact the sail. Should they be left deployed. Sometimes I will just seize the line around the thimble if the line is particularly difficult to splice. A proper seizing is plenty strong enough.
Whenever possible, I will attach the lazy jacks to the bottom of the spreaders. About a foot out from the mast. This gives you a vee that allows the headboard and battens a little more room than using cheek blocks attached to the mast.
There are instances where it's not a good idea to use the spreader but usually it's no problem. You don't want to be supporting the weight of the boom with them anyway.

For the drops, I usually use a single eye strap fastened to the bottom of the boom and passing the lines under the boom, I tie one side to the other using a carefully adjusted clove hitch. That way the lines always pull on each other rather than pulling on the eye strap.
For the "halyard" drop, I will usually use a pair of small plastic horn cleats attached on either side of the boom about two feet aft of the gooseneck.

I hope that all makes sense. I just made and installed a four drop system Thursday. I can take a couple of pictures of it on Monday if anyone wants.
Old 04-11-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I made up new lazy jacks and a quick mainsail furling system for my boat and wrote about it here. The lazy jacks are long enough that they can be stowed when not in use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-11-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
I answered a PM asking a few further questions.
In case anyone else had the same questions, here's what I wrote.

I'll take a few pictures and post them to the same thread when I get to work on Monday. I have never figured out how to attach photos to PM's.

I usually use some adhesive lined heat shrink tubing over the seizing when I don't splice.

(On figuring out the lengths)

Don't over think the process.
On a three drop system, you want the eye on the "halyard" drop to be as high as is practical. Close to the spreader.
The way I usually do it is to mock it up on the boat.
Make up a "mock" system by tying bowlines, using a piece long enough to serve as the "halyard" drop, around a piece of old line long enough to reach from the spreaders to the two after most positions on the boom, doubled, . Then just throw the "halyard" drop over the spreaders from the deck. Set it up and then carefully retract the system. Tie some knots or apply some black tape at the appropriate spots and you have your lengths. Make the halyard a little long if you're in doubt.
Old 04-11-2009

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
We have ez-jax and have them deployed when rising the sail, especially when reefed rather than tying off the sail via the reef points. To avoid catching the battens, we attach a shock cord from the top ez-jax rings to the shrouds that hold the ez-jax lines out a bit away from the mast. The only disadvantage seems to be restricting the deployment of the sail down wind in light air, which is easily remedied by loosing the ez-jax.
Old 04-12-2009

kmdudley7 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
If your battens are hanging up on your SPREADERS, I don't think your problem is your lazy jacks. Try putting the bow into the wind!
HAHAHHA bubb I got ya. I meant my lines in jacks system not my spreaders. Mine are out of way when not in use cleated to the boom. TRhey came with the boat not sure which brand they are but they look just like all the other 3 line systems I have seen here.
marky

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.