Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-11-2009

noelex77 is on a distinguished road
I recently fitted a new Yanmar engine.
The handbook strongly recommended 2 specific red coolants, and stated the warranty was invalid IN AMERICA ONLY if any other antifreeze was used. I had lot of difficulty sourcing the correct coolant in Greece (which I eventually located). All Yanmar dealers assured me all they ever used was green. I have seen a number of newish Yanmar engines all with green coolant (one was a new Jeanneau)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2009

SailMass is on a distinguished road
I used to work for a Beneteau and Jenneau dealer. All the boats came with green antifreeze. But since moving on, I have realized that green will void the warranty of the engine.
Im not an engine mechanic, but I know the basics. All other builders, ex. Island Packet, Catalina, Sabre etc, that have come from the factory have come with the red antifreeze
Old 04-11-2009

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Can you please quote us some sources for this statement??

After just having been though the Dex-Cool (AKA Death Cool) fiasco on my own engine I have switched back to green but this is VERY labor intensive. I would welcome any source you have for your statement above that green antifreeze will ruin your engine in an over heat.
I do not have the book right in front of me but at the Mack boring diesel class we were specifically told Do Not use green only red or pink because if it is overheated the antifreeze will break down and one of the chemicals will build up within your engine.
Old 04-11-2009

SailMass is on a distinguished road
I can get you the email from Yanmar, but green does void the warranty on the engine, the green breaks down the metal in the motor, and builds up slime in the heat exchanger
Old 04-11-2009

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
OK..I have a question, please..for the coolant experts.

I have a Yanmar 3jh4E on my boat. The coolant that came with the engine in separate boxes, (the engine obviously was shipped dry), is Havoline, in a black bottle, I believe its that DEx Cool thing.

Mine is orange in color..I am confused now, but my friend (who happens to be the Yanmar dealer), said that he could put any coolant I want if that is what I wanted..

I gathered my coolant is the bad one?

What coolant do you guys recommend??

Thank you

Alex
Old 04-11-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
It is important to note that the Mack class was not talking about Dexcool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwuffles View Post
I do not have the book right in front of me but at the Mack boring diesel class we were specifically told Do Not use green only red or pink because if it is overheated the antifreeze will break down and one of the chemicals will build up within your engine.
Dexcool is a light-duty auto formula and would never be specified for a heavy duty truck - cylinder liner and injector seal problems would follow. They were most likely referring to either Fleet Guard, Penray 2798N, or Old World Final Charge, although there are some others too.

At the same time these products might not be the best choice for some light duty applications - one size does not fit all.

I believe this is the spec sheet for the red Yanmar coolant in question:http://www.yanmar.com/file.asp?F=031...&C=store_items
It appears to be a relatively ordinary light-duty (not truck) long-life formula that should be compatible with all of the new "universal" coolants. Like all of the new generation, it is based on carboxylic acid chemistry and contains no phosphoric acid. Of course, phosphate-containing formulations are scarce as hen's teeth in the US, anyway. The tests are all common automotive tests and the results are in the ordinary range for this class of product.

This IS NOT Dex-cool. The specifications are quite different in the details. Whether a specific dealer used Dex-cool? Who can say.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-12-2009

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
There are a number of different "red" or "orange" ethylene glycol based antifreeze products on the market, DexCool being just one. Each is a different formulation but basically similar in content.
If you are that concerned about which is preferable, go with the traditional green glycol. It really doesn't matter - neither will destroy a PROPERLY maintained engine which has not been overheated.
If you routinely change the antifreeze, any off-the-shelf brand, REGARDLESS OF COLOR, will not destroy an engine - I get sick of some people blowing some complaint into much more than it really is and scaring people about something which is not a problem unless you are careless about the engine in the first place.

Any Class Action suit is just a series of allegations and if you more thoroughly researched the case, one would logically conclude there is sufficient evidence that many of these complainants overheated or otherwise mis-treated their engines such that definitive linking of engine problems to any specific antifreeze is dubious.

If an engine mfg claims they will not honor a warranty unless you use a certain antifreeze, it is a no-brainer what you should use.

If your mfg makes no such stipulation, just make sure you thoroughly flush the old before replacing it with a different colored antifreeze as some do not mix well.

Last edited by k1vsk; 04-12-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-12-2009

Swesail is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
If an engine mfg claims they will not honor a warranty unless you use a certain antifreeze, it is a no-brainer what you should use.
Needless to say I agree with you. Itís a no brainer. You want the warranty. But as you saw in my original post Iím baffled about the fact that plenty of production boats come from the factory with a coolant that voids the warranty and that I had to flush and replace in order to get the engine into warranty on a new boat. My intention when starting the thread was to gain some knowledge around that as well as about the fluids. But the new-boat-warranty-issue was maybe lost in some sort of red/orange/green soup.
Old 04-12-2009

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swesail View Post
Needless to say I agree with you. Itís a no brainer. You want the warranty. But as you saw in my original post Iím baffled about the fact that plenty of production boats come from the factory with a coolant that voids the warranty and that I had to flush and replace in order to get the engine into warranty on a new boat. My intention when starting the thread was to gain some knowledge around that as well as about the fluids. But the new-boat-warranty-issue was maybe lost in some sort of red/orange/green soup.

Many mfgs send their boats for commissioning dry in which case the yard you choose to do the work is responsible for such decisions and you, in turn, are responsible for the choice of yard. If the boat was in fact shipped dry for commissioning, you should reasonably expect the yard to make the proper decision(s) and have a cause for action against them if not.
Old 04-12-2009

jason3317 is on a distinguished road
MainSail wrote: when and if you do convert away from Death-Cool you MUST do a complete system flush, with a product like Rydlime, followed by a neutralizer, then a flush with distilled water then the new antifreeze.

OOOPS. I changed my coolant this fall as part of fall decommissioning. I drained the existing (red) coolant, flushed with water, ran a 'Zerex Flush' product through the system and then flushed again 2x with water.

I then used Zerex 50/50 predilluted ethelyne glycol coolant (green).

Did I totally screw this up. I didn't know about the flush with Rydlyme + Neutralizer step?