Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-11-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

backcreeksailor is on a distinguished road
Formica Repair

What options are out there for rejuvinating old dingy formica counter tops that don't require completely ripping out and replacing the existing tops?

Does anyplace sell formica sheets that can be cut to fit and just glued directly over the old formica?

I'm not interested in ceramic tile.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2009
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
My local Lowes carries formica sheets. I would suggest removing the countertops from the boat before trying to install new formica. Most countertops are easier to remove than they appear. I would also suggest removing the old formica from the wood before trying to install new formica. You should be able to loosen the glue with a heat gun.

Have fun, and good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 04-11-2009

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
If the original formica is good, going right over the top of it is a good option to removing it, and eliminates a few problems. Namely, not having to remove all traces of the old adhesive to eliminate incompatability issues.

It's essentially a resin impregnated paper, so prepare it as you would for fiberglass build ups, scuff,sand, and clean then use your prefered adhesive. (epoxy resin works well, and gives you a longer work time, and you aviod having to have a perfect alignment before it touches)

To install with the correct adhesive, use large sheets of butcher (glossy coating on one side) or waxed paper to make a pattern, apply adhesive then use the paper as a seperator sheet and lay the formica on it and slide the paper out when it's in the proper position. If you use epoxy, wax and polish the areas you don't want the epoxy to stick to, then treat as any fiberglass job.
Of course edge banding that overlays the top surface has to come off.

Ken.
Old 04-11-2009
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
Penetrol might brighten the old stuff. When you make your pattern, make it larger than the counter top as it may be hard to exactly align the Formica and most adhesives are unforgiving and stick on contact. Then use a router with a trim tool to cut off the excess. Home Depot and Lowes giveclasseson installation. Check your local stores for schedule.
Old 04-11-2009

ADMTROX is on a distinguished road
I used Flitz metal polish to clean my Formica. There were some bad stains that came out using this method.
Old 04-12-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd try cleaning up the existing stuff before trying to lay down new laminate. You could try Flitz as Admtrox says, and Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponges work pretty well too..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.