SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Keel Bolts on C&C 44 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/53406-keel-bolts-c-c-44-a.html)

jonb 04-12-2009 01:59 PM

Keel Bolts on C&C 44

I would like to tighten the keel bolts on my C&C 44 before I tackle a weeping keel issue.
I live about 2 1/2 hours from the boat (so it is difficult to go to the boat to measure) and was wondering if anyone knows what the size of the nuts are on a C&C 44's keel bolts.
I recall them looking something like 2" but I need to buy the correct socket size.
In addition if anyone knows what they should be torqued to that would be appreciated.

I have not been able to find this information in either the owners manual or on-line.

sailingdog 04-12-2009 02:09 PM

Umm...

If they've been weeping a while, it would probably be wise to drop the keel and check the keel bolts for crevice corrosion. If you don't do this, the bolts may be near the point of failure and may fail without warning. Steel or stainless steel keel bolts are particularly susceptible to this problem.

As for the torque specification, why not call C&C and ask them??

backcreeksailor 04-12-2009 06:25 PM

Can't help with the definitive keel bolt size for the 44, but it's probably a good bet that they're going to need 1-7/8th sockets. Also here are the torque spec once you find out which size you definitely have.

MODEL SIZE........BOLT DIAMETER..FOOT POUNDS.....SOCKET NUT

........................1/2"..................80.....................3/4"
MEGA ONLY.........3/4"..................90.....................1-1/8"
........................3/4"..................250....................1-1/8"
C&C 30 Mk I........1".....................350............... .....1-1/2"
C&C 40...............1-1/4"...............450....................1-7/8"

bogdog 04-12-2009 06:39 PM

Doesn't it make a difference if the boat is in salt water? Salt water being much more corrosive than fresh? As an example, I've retrieved steel parts that have been at the bottom of a lake (fresh water) for more than 30 years and there was very little damage, other than cosmetic, and they were still sound. Walking around our marina last fall after haul out, I noticed about half the keels have some weeping streaks. We sail in fresh water and there is very little talk of potential problems. I would like to hear others opinions on this issue because one of the weepers was ours. Bog

sailingdog 04-12-2009 06:51 PM

Yes, salt water is more corrosive...but crevice corrosion can still do a serious number on stainless steel in fresh water.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogdog (Post 474295)
Doesn't it make a difference if the boat is in salt water? Salt water being much more corrosive than fresh? As an example, I've retrieved steel parts that have been at the bottom of a lake (fresh water) for more than 30 years and there was very little damage, other than cosmetic, and they were still sound. Walking around our marina last fall after haul out, I noticed about half the keels have some weeping streaks. We sail in fresh water and there is very little talk of potential problems. I would like to hear others opinions on this issue because one of the weepers was ours. Bog

Parts that are sitting on the bottom of the lake, if the lake is deep enough, are below the thermocline, and the water there is both very cold and very low in oxygen content. As such, it generally doesn't allow rust to progress, due to the near complete lack of oxygen.