Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-13-2009

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerregis View Post
When I raced on big boats, light and heavy had to do with apparent wind speed. The light was good to 10-12 after that the 1. The boat carried 28 sails and had something for everything, including trysail and blooper. If you've ever gone 14 knots under a blast reacher and two reefs, you know what a suit is.
Does anyone use bloopers nowadays? I've only seen them in photos on the covers of sailing books from the 80s. One of my goals in life is to fly as many sails at once as possible.
Old 04-13-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Not sure what a blooper is, and how used. But I did pickup a 130'ish drifter/reacher a month ago, worked really well in some light up to 6 knot winds in a race Ap 4th. gained us about .5-1 knot vs the 155 carbon. Anything over that, the 155 gained us an additional knot.

Marty
Old 04-14-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Bloopers, tallboys, reachers, bananas, and the one I've actually used, my genoa staysail with wire luff that tacks to the rail...they all have gone to die in the rafters of my garage.

Some of them emerge recut as one-season, sail 'em 'til they shred foresails. Others get to be paint or plaster tarps.
Old 04-14-2009
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Blooper thus:

It is (was, thank God) a low-slung mini-spi meant to counteract IOR boats' habit of rounding up violently under symmetrical kite alone. IIRC, it was counted as a jib and so also increased downwind sail area without a penalty hit.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2009
Ex Member

ste27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcgov View Post
Blooper thus:

It is (was, thank God) a low-slung mini-spi meant to counteract IOR boats' habit of rounding up violently under symmetrical kite alone. IIRC, it was counted as a jib and so also increased downwind sail area without a penalty hit.
Trimmed by raising and lowering the halyard.

Now let us never speak of this abomination again
Old 04-14-2009

Silmaril is on a distinguished road
The general theory is that for a racing boat that has a fixed max headsail dimension, a "Light" No. 1 would have a fuller draft and lighter material than the "Heavy" No. 1. The "Light" No. 1 would be a more powerful sail, fuller draft, yet not as high a pointing sail, enabling you to build speed and power through the chop that would slow a boat in light winds. In practice, the "Light" would go up to about 7 - 9 kts AWS and the "Heavy" would take it from there, to the No. 2's range, typically in the low to mid teens AWS. There really is no such thing as a "Light" No. 2 as that sail is optomized for higher wind speeds, and the next gear shift would be to the No. 3.

In addition, while feasable, you could have a "Light" mainsail and a "Heavy" mainsail, both with optomized drafts and materials for their expected wind ranges. I have sailed on boats, years ago, that had them, but sail count limits make them useless.

In regards to the comments about "Bloopers" helping to aleviate the IOR boats unstable downwind tendancies, I don't think so much... The Blooper was a VERY unstable sail, and never used in the highwind conditions that would create the combination of factors that would facilitate the famous IOR "Death Roll" or broach. They were exclusively used in light to moderate wind conditions, dead down wind running, and the proper technique actually had you LOWER the mainsail to gain the greatest benifits. Glad to see then go!

With the introduction of modern fractional rigged high performance boats, the mainsail was no longer relegated to a secondary role. The need for "Light" and "Heavy" headsails of the same size became secondary to the proper trim of the now larger and more powerful mainsails.
Old 04-14-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
Are light # 1 is good for 9 knots and the heavy #1 about 20

The light #1 3DL requires repiars EVERY race because the film is so thing it cant take wacking anything during a tack SO we really try not to use it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-14-2009

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
Back in my racing days we flew a blooper on a Kiwi 30. Under the right conditions it was really fast dead down wind. Bloopin' helped us get many 1st place finishes. Most boat are designed to sail jibe angles downwind now so you don't see them much.
Old 04-14-2009

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
Some ... get to be paint or plaster tarps.
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste27
Trimmed by raising and lowering the halyard.
!
Old 04-14-2009

mgiguere is on a distinguished road
Well I have one for you. My boat has a spinnaker staysail which I have and have flown a couple of times on our 1967 Chris Craft Apache sloop (S&S). It basically throws a little more wind into the spinnaker.

Moe