Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-14-2009

tiernay is on a distinguished road
Just a couple of further thought - when the transmission is in neutral how hard is it to turn the shaft. If its hard to turn something is wrong.

Second thought - I've used some graphite packing which doesn't seem to let much water through even when the nut is loose. But again the big concern is heat not water.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Ok first off thanks to everyone who is responding as it is a big help. Now that I know I should be seeing dripping from where the shaft meets the packing nut and not where the locking nut goes on. I did not or at least I did not think I over tightened the packing nut when I put it back on. I was def able to get a good amount of turns on there so I know too much packing isn't the issue.

So now hypothetically say the packing did get packed in too tight by turning the packing nut too many times or by some other way...what is the solution? Do I have to change the packing again? The boat is now in the water for the season so that could be a problem. Again I don't think I over tightened it but that is the only logical thing I can think of since I am not noticing any drips out the back of the packing nut where the shaft meets it.

Also I did read MainSails website about changing the stuffing box and followed his instructions to a T. Thought it was a great website and helped me start off.
Old 04-14-2009

DrB will become famous soon enough
Flax Resilency

If the packing flax is new, I don't think you have "killed" it yet. Usually the flax becomes packed out after several years of use after it been saturated with water, gook, and such and continuously tightened to adjust it. My guess is that you really would have had to crank down on it to pack it too much, I mean really crank on it.

How many turns are you doing on the packing nut before you get it to feel snug? One turn, two, three, more? If you doing more turns than say 2 full turns (two once you start engaging the threads), then you probably need more packing in there. If you don't have enough packing, you maybe swagging the nut to the metal gland and not using the packing to make the seal.

If you want to, try this: Remove the packing nut all the way, place your finger in the nut and feel for the packing. If you can easily feel it without pushing your finger deep, you should fine. If you can't and need to put your finger in deep, try adding another ring.

Also, it may take some time for the packing to seat, swell, and seal. SB's that have been dry for several months while sitting on the hard, often take a few hours to to seal up. When I splashed last year, my box leaked alot, like a pint or two a minute. After about 15 minutes it was a thin stream of fluid, and a few hours later it was about 10 drips minute. I didn't do anything to the SB over the winter, so what you may be seeing is just the natural swell/seal time, which maybe longer for new material.

Other than that, I am out of ideas.

DrB
Old 04-14-2009

Doc - To be honest I think what you said last is probably the case - at least I am hoping. My guess is just that it is new packing and it is going to take some time to absorb. I'm heading back down to the boat end of this week or this weekend so I should know by then and will give you an update. Thanks again for all your help though.
Old 04-14-2009

CellNav is on a distinguished road
Stuffed

It's an ironic situation, most of us struggle to keep water out of our boats... Did your friend remove all the old stuffing? That could be a factor. If you can't get it to drip then I'd pull it out and do it again.

Aloha

Mike

Last edited by CellNav; 04-14-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CellNav View Post
It's an ironic situation.. Most of us strugle to keep water out of our boats. Did your friend remove all the old stuffing? That could be a factor. I'f you can't get it to drip then I'd pull it out and do it again.

Aloha

Mike
Haha yes I know I am having the opposite problem. I am anxious to check it out again later this week and hopefully I can make it work.
Old 04-15-2009
Don Radcliffe

donradclife is on a distinguished road
One possible explanation is the threads on the packing nut are stripped/corroded away. This would cause your symptoms, as tightening the locking nut would compress the packing.
Old 04-15-2009

johnferrell is on a distinguished road
NOt trying to be a smart a$$ but are you sre you have the lock nut and the compression nut correct? The lock nut is the one on the shaft side. Again not trying to be a smart elic. Just curious???/
Old 04-15-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
If..

If it is leaking out of the big nut threads, the big not is not on far enough to compress the rings against the male end of the stuffing box. No drips can happen but is not normal when first installing packing. It should not seals out water completely after break in. Usually no leaks is due to an insertion problem, lack of thorough break in or a ring or two are cocked and not sitting square.

You don't say what kind of packing? GFO does not absorb much moisture and as such does not swell like other packings. It does however take quite a bit of time to break in. Traditional natural fiber flaxes will absorb water so they must not be overtightened at first.

Here's what I would suggest trying:

Tighten the big nut just until it stops leaking out the threads but do this without the lock nut tight and the once no drips at the threads of the big nut then tighten the lock nut..

Tightening the lock nut will stop this type of drip because it applies compressive pressure to the male/female threads, wher they mate, thus sealing them. Next run her in gear, preferably at the dock, monitoring temp for a number of hours (especially if GFO). If after a number of hours it still does not drip you'll need to repack because some of the packing is likely cocked and too tight agaist the nut and shaft. No amount of running will truly fixe cocked packing. Having cocked packing is essentially like going up one size..

Hope this helps..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 04-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
If it is leaking out of the big nut threads, the big not is not on far enough to compress the rings against the male end of the stuffing box. No drips can happen but is not normal when first installing packing. It should not seals out water completely after break in. Usually no leaks is due to an insertion problem, lack of thorough break in or a ring or two are cocked and not sitting square.

You don't say what kind of packing? GFO does not absorb much moisture and as such does not swell like other packings. It does however take quite a bit of time to break in. Traditional natural fiber flaxes will absorb water so they must not be overtightened at first.

Here's what I would suggest trying:

Tighten the big nut just until it stops leaking out the threads but do this without the lock nut tight and the once no drips at the threads of the big nut then tighten the lock nut..

Tightening the lock nut will stop this type of drip because it applies compressive pressure to the male/female threads, wher they mate, thus sealing them. Next run her in gear, preferably at the dock, monitoring temp for a number of hours (especially if GFO). If after a number of hours it still does not drip you'll need to repack because some of the packing is likely cocked and too tight agaist the nut and shaft. No amount of running will truly fixe cocked packing. Having cocked packing is essentially like going up one size..

Hope this helps..
Thank you. After thinking about it all this time I think you are right about perhaps not having the packing nut tight enough. I never really made it tight with my hand because I was afraid of over tightening it. I'll find out tomorrow and will def do what you suggested. Thanks again for this and also for the spot on your web page about changing it out. Thats where I learned to do it in the first place.