Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-13-2009

kymbie is on a distinguished road
Custom Davits - who makes them?

Can anyone recommend any Stainless Steel Fabricators with experience of manufacturing davits for sailing boats? Preferably in Texas...

We are looking to have some davits made for our Spindrift 43 that will also give us somewhere to mount a large solar panel and wind generator. Our boat has a canoe stern and none of the off the shelf products seem to meet our requirements. So far the only place I have found on the internet is Wells Marine and they are based in Florida. Has anyone used them for davits?

Thanks
Kym
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Garhauer makes davits...but they're not in Texas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-13-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Again, not in Texas, but Kato Marine in Annapolis has a solid rep.

But re-reading your post, it sounds like you may be a candidate for a custom "arch", rather than standard davits.

P.S. Kato also makes arches.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 04-13-2009 at 09:41 PM. Reason: added p.s.
Old 04-13-2009

I actually have the Garhauer catalog on the desk at this moment - we are going with their traveller system.

Their davits look good but not necessarily that easy to integrate with our current stern rail or to add the extra things too, I was also thinking of mounting the GPS antenna and VHF antenna's on the complete system so would need to get wires run etc..

I know having them custom made will be expensive but I'm hoping it will be efficient in the long run.
Old 04-13-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Garhauer is generally willing to customize their gear and work with their customers.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-13-2009
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Atkins & Hoyle Ltd. - #1 Davits, Cranes, Roll Ons, Hatches, Marine Accessories
Old 04-13-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
You might want to check with "pipefitters" that work in your area at some of the industrial locations. I found a guy that worked at a local paper mill that whipped up some davits for me in his garage out of 2 1/2" diameter stainless steel pipe. He asked me how I wanted them to look, took some measurements and fabricated the best davits I've seen for have the marine supply price. I ran my wires through my port davit and around a couple of corners by tying a length of dental floss to a cotton ball. I applied a vacuum cleaner to the opening that I wanted to lead the cotton ball to and,- voila! I had my leader for the wire. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

Last edited by CaptainForce; 04-13-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-13-2009
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I assume you have your boat down at Clear Lake. If so, check with Ed Snyder at (last I knew) Houston Yacht Sales. He may be able to recommend some one in the area.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 04-13-2009

Thanks for all the suggestions

I will get in contact with Garhauer and see if they can customize their davits to meet our requirements. I will also see if I can locate Ed Snyder as I am in the Clear Lake area to see if he can recommend anyone local and look for any local pipefitters who might be able to do the job.

I'm sure there must be lots of people out there who do this as a lot of the boats for sale seem to quote 'custom davits /arch' I guess it is just a case of finding them.
Old 04-13-2009
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Someone else you might look up is Tom Snow at Snow Yacht Services. He did excellent work on my boat at a fair price. Tell him John from Aria recommended him. Same with Ed, come to think of it.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.