How to secure steaming light to mast with halyards inside mast. - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-13-2009

Eihli is on a distinguished road
How to secure steaming light to mast with halyards inside mast.

I ran into a problem while rewiring the mast on my S2 8.0b. The halyards run inside the mast. I have to replace the steaming light. I had planned on drilling some holes and tapping out some threads and screw the light to the mast, but I thought that would leave the screws protruding into the inside of the mast and would cause abrasion to the halyards running through there.

The original steaming light was riveted on. I looked up how to rivet on youtube and everything I see points toward you having to have access to both sides of whatever you are riveting. That would mean I'd have to stick an extension 15' down the mast to insert the rivet. Does anyone have any ideas how they riveted on the original?

Thanks for any tips/advice.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Pop rivets are the way to go. You don't need access to both sides, the rivets use a mandrel to tighten the rivet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-14-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
if you are set on screws you could drill and tap, then measure the thickness of the mast. then just cut the screw so it is flush on the inside before you screw it in
Old 04-14-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
There are some problems with screws. First, many masts are too thin to take screws well. Second, with the screws cut to be flush with the inside of the mast, there isn't enough of a safety factor. Third, screws are far more prone to corrosion problems than are aluminum, stainless steel or monel pop rivets.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-14-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
sailing dog, if I were to attach a stainless bit to an aluminum mast, should I use a stainless rivet or an aluminum rivet?
Old 04-14-2009

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
I would use a Monel rivit and place s thin piece of plastic (or something else that is nonconductive) between the stainless bit and the aluminum mast. This will minimize the corrosion. I used to sail Hobies and had to deal with mixing stainless and aluminum quite a bit.
Old 04-14-2009
Telstar 28

It depends on whether you need the strength of stainless steel or not. Stainless steel rivets are considerably stronger than aluminum ones... using TefGel, LanoCote or something similar can reduce the corrosion problems. I'm not a big fan of putting compressible washers between the two since they can trap water and cause crevice corrosion issues on the stainless steel.

A thin sheet of mylar, which is basically too thin to compress to any noticeable degree works as a galvanic isolation washer if you have to separate large stainless steel hardware from the mast. BTW, this is generally only necessary with larger pieces of hardware, since the relative size of anode to cathode in part determines the degree of galvanic corrosion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
sailing dog, if I were to attach a stainless bit to an aluminum mast, should I use a stainless rivet or an aluminum rivet?

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-14-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
My mast is 28 years old and when i refinished it the 3/16 dia SS rivets ALL came out perfect

The down side is you need the BIG TOOL to set 3/16 and 1/4 SS because they are so strong

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat