Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-13-2009
Ornery Cuss

riphonda is on a distinguished road
Building New Windows/ Ports

Hi everyone, im in the process of rebuilding a '76 sabre 28 (with leaky windows, arent they all when old) and with the high cost of windows or ports came up with a pretty cheap alternative that looks good and should be quite tough and hold up well.

I searched high and low on the net and had trouble finding ideas for building up your own windows, most of what i came up with was just the old "screw some acrylic to the cabin top" idea, which works but, aesthetically, can be less than pleasing. My idea is not completely different, just a spin on that idea that dresses it up. I ended up using pvc trim (azek) to cut a frame and rabbet out the back to accept a piece of Makrolon polycarbonate. The polycarbonate is 3/16" and a 24" x 48" sheet cost about 75 bucks. The Azek cost 45 bucks for the 12'. I then painted the frames with Interlux perfection in snow white to shield the pvc from the uv rays as that breaks it down.

Comparatively speaking these were cheap with estimates for $300+ a piece for aluminum extrusions with lexan inserts of the same size. I plan to fasten the windows by bedding the frames in life-seal or other marine adhesive that is "lexan" friendly then forstner bit and stainless screwing then "bunging" (with azek) to fill screw holes. Let me know what you think, below are some pictures...

"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2009
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Details please. Exactly which azek trim did you use, how did you form it, where and how deep did you make cuts, stuff like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 04-14-2009
Marine: Educator,Surveyor

JHJensen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to JHJensen
Thumbs up Nice Job... more details and photographs...please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by US27inKS View Post
Details please. Exactly which azek trim did you use, how did you form it, where and how deep did you make cuts, stuff like that.
Your job looks great..... could you put in some more details as US27 asks and also some close ups photographs of the details...

Again, looks like a really nice job!

John
Old 04-14-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Consider using butyl tape instead of caulk. do a search here and you should find more info on butyl tape. it will remain soft & pliable for 20+ years. Buy it at RV stores, it's pretty cheap too.