Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-14-2009

jason3317 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_L View Post
Do other J/28's have the zerk fittings? I'm guessing these were an after thought. It looks like you have a roller upper bearing, maybe a Harken on the post. The stainless sleeve you have on the post looks the same as the one that is used with lower roller bearings. Is it possible that the boat was built with a Harken lower bearing and that a previous owner wanted to to do a cheaper replacement and added the Delrin bearing and zerk fittings?

Paul L
Paul, good questions. I haven't been able to look at another 28 to confirm.

The upper bearing consists of a stainless steel sleeve bonded to the rudderpost; it rides inside of a bronze tube / top plate bolted to the deck. There is another Zerk on the top bearing tube. I'm sure it is not a roller bearing.

I have no way of telling for sure, but I think the condition of the lower bearing probably makes it original. Other J's of similar vintage have the same 'holes', but instead of Zerks, they are set screws. I think the size of my boat probably doesn't create the loads required for a roller bearing...hence the Delrin setup.

Jason

Last edited by jason3317; 04-14-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
If you google "harken rudder bearing'

Jefa, imported by PYI comes up a lot as making copys of them

J40 Rudder Bearings

Yes, Harken got out of the rudder bearing business in the early to mid-90s. The circulated around the industry the drawings / specs for the bearings. There is even a bearing cross-reference document for J/Boats - Harken. The J/28 is not one of the models listed on that doc - the smallest is the J/32.

I am pretty sure I could use a Jefa roller bearing for a replacement, but this is likey a higher cost $$ option. I haven't ruled it out 100%. If I was planning
to keep the boat another 20 years...then I would consider it more strongly.
Old 04-14-2009

jfdubu is on a distinguished road
Jason,

Wow what a coinsidence. I'm pulling the rudder on my J28 tomorrow for the very same reason. I have hull #11 and sail in narragansett bay. I also have quite a bit of experiance making parts out of delron, it's very good stuff.

I'll keep up with you and let you know what I'm doing.

John

jfws88@cox.net
Old 04-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfdubu View Post
Jason,

Wow what a coinsidence. I'm pulling the rudder on my J28 tomorrow for the very same reason. I have hull #11 and sail in narragansett bay. I also have quite a bit of experiance making parts out of delron, it's very good stuff.

I'll keep up with you and let you know what I'm doing.

John

jfws88@cox.net
John, sound good. Please post pictures for comparison if possible. Let us know how it goes.

Jason
Old 04-16-2009

Well Jason, I wasn't as lucky as you. After removing the first two bolt of the quadrent I thought I was fat, dum and happy. The second two turned me in just fat and dum.
So far I've turned the two hex bolts into round bolts with an impact gun, I've cut the heads off with my dremal and tried screw drivers and wedges and it will not split on one side. I'll be cutting it off tonight.

I can tell you I don't have setscrews or zerk fitting in either the top or bottm bearings

John
Old 04-20-2009

John, any update on your progress? I also sent you an email.
Old 04-20-2009

Hi Jason,

Well I did finally get the damn rudder out of the boat. I had to cut two of the bolts out of the quadrent and I still have got one of the bolts out of the holes.

Any way it's out. I havn't taken any pictures as my daughter took the camera to college with her. But with the execption of the color (mines red) it looks identical to yours. I have the same discolored areas and the same delron bearing. I havn't decided if I'm going to take the bearing out. Mine looks like it's glassed in and may just stay that way. I was surprised at how heavy the rudder is. I'm guessing 100+ lbs, is yours that heavy?

When your's came out did it slide out of the top sleeve or did you have to fight it like it did.

BTW, no grease fittings anywhere on my bearings.

Nice new J28 site hey?

John
Old 04-20-2009

John, thanks for the update. It took 2 to handle the rudder as it came out so, yes, ~100lbs.

The delrin sleeve is definitely glassed or otherwise retained into the hull, either way the only method of getting it out will involve a big saw.

I pulled the bolt that retains the top stainless sleeve and serves as a rudder stop; it came out still attached to the shaft.

Given you have the same wear patterns on the Delin, I am questioning the value of the grease fittings, and grease in general. It's either to cushion the wear on the delrin, or displace seawater to mitigate the stainless corrosion, I suppose. Doesn't seem like it made a difference.

The leading idea (today) from the yard is to build up the derin sleeve with a carbon/graphite/epoxy fillet mix, then hone the surface back to oem tolerances. The only concern I have here is maintaining / creating proper bearing backlash.

If we decide to cut the old delrin out, then I have the option of replacing the delrin with the same material, or switching out to a roller bearing. These two solutions are pricy, I think.

Everyone else...feel free to chime in with comments.
Old 04-20-2009

Paul_L is on a distinguished road
> I was surprised at how heavy the rudder is. I'm guessing 100+ lbs, is yours
>that heavy?
One thing worth doing while you have the rudder out is to put it on a saw horse with the bottom lower than the top and drill a couple of small holes near the lower end. See how much water comes out and for how long. A little is probably expected, alot is needs looking into. You can easily epoxy the holes latter.

Paul L
Old 04-20-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Delrin is probably lower maintenance than roller bearings. The problem with using a graphite composite is that graphite can cause serious galvanic issues with aluminum, since it is more noble than the aluminum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.