Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-14-2009

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Prop Coating with Vivid Paint

On the next to the last page of the 2009 Jamestown Distributors Master Catalog there is a chart showing coatings for underwater metals including bronze props using Petit products. The chart is divided into a good, better and best systems. The good system shows the Zinc Coat Barnacle Barrier while the better and best systems show using the Vivid paint after the proper prep. Since the Vivid paint is an ablative paint it seems that a hard paint (Trididad SR)would be better choice for using on a prop. There has been no response from Petit on this question. Any thoughts here on this thread?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
All I can say is that the Zinc stuff works quite well, three coats easily provides solid protection for six months in New England waters...
Old 04-15-2009
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
My experience is that there is no anti fouling paint (not referring to special products designed for the purpose) that will stay on a prop for anything other than a very short time. A soft as Vivid is, I can't imagine it performing any better.
Old 04-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
My experience is that there is no anti fouling paint (not referring to special products designed for the purpose) that will stay on a prop for anything other than a very short time. A soft as Vivid is, I can't imagine it performing any better.

http://www.pettitpaint.com/fileshare...tersystems.pdf

Check out this site. I can't seem to get the Pettit people to answer my question as to why the ablative would be better than their trinidad sr for the very reason that you state.
Old 04-21-2009

Redfish is on a distinguished road
I called Petit and ask their tech people to recemend a product for coating my bronze prop. Without hesitation they said Zinc Coat Barnacle Barrier.

It's only been on my prop for just less than two months, but it's still there. Most bottom paints I've tried are gone by now. I'm in the Florida Keys and fowling is terrible. So far so good, and it's very easy to put on. Time will tell!
Old 04-21-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Please

Please for the sake of your wallet and prop DO NOT use a copper based bottom paint on a bronze prop especially if it is manganse bronze..

Do a search here on dezincification and you'll have a better understanding of why not..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 04-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Please for the sake of your wallet and prop DO NOT use a copper based bottom paint on a bronze prop especially if it is manganse bronze..

Do a search here on dezincification and you'll have a better understanding of why not..

Maine,

If you look at the referenced Pettit website, they do state that proper prep is important. Plus I think the Vivid is a copper based paint that they show as superior to their zinc coating. My Max Prop has been on my boat for the last 24 years and for the last 10, I've used bottom paint after trying all sorts of remedies. I've had good luck with the interlux products, but the bottom paint that was given to me in a glass jar by a mechanic 10 years ago in a boat yard has been depleted and it's time for more except not sure as to what paint was used. I know it was an interlux product and a hard paint, but the fellow is no longer at the yard. Plus I'm pretty sure it was copper based, but I want to be certain that the paint people approve as to what is being done since in the past I can go 3 years between haul outs here on the middle Cheaspeake. Plus I'll dive no more than once a season on the bottom and only a few barnicles are ever on the prop with the paint intact. If the Pettit people are unresponsive, I'll go with vinyl-lux primewash, the primocon and the Trilux 33 all made by Interlux. I just checked the WM catalog and both the trilux and the vivid have around 24% cuprous Thiocyanate vs. the 70%cuprous oxide of the trinadad sr. Your point is well taken and just maybe that paint in the glass jar was not cuprous oxide, but whatever magic it contined, it sure worked. BTW...appreciate your many posts here on sailnet