SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Frozen Prop (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/53491-frozen-prop.html)

thisisus 04-14-2009 10:22 PM

Frozen Prop

Trying to remove the folding prop off the shaft to replace with a fixed one. Any suggestions on ways to free a stubborn prop. Trying to avoid pulling the whole shaft out since involves dropping the rudder (which also involves having the yard pick up the boat to take it off). Using a 3 part wheel puller and already broke a finger on one. No budge. Was thinking of heating it. Other option take a sawzall and try to slice in two sections. Any ideas appreciated. Should have known this haulout was going too good.

Thisisus
Islander 32
Mobile AL

boofus 04-14-2009 10:32 PM

Heat and puller...... Something hot like mapp of oxy-cet so you heat the prop fast, not the shaft and prop together. sorry to hear about the finger....pullers can be a pain to juggle and set. I would put some tension on the puller and with heat it should pop.....
Good luck

Faster 04-14-2009 10:35 PM

Heat is certainly an option, to be used with caution (for obvious reasons).. Another would be to load up the puller again, and give it a good hard smack on the puller screw head... the shock might break the prop free of the taper. Soak it overnight with penetrating oil too.

If you do try the hard tapping method, do not stand directly in line with the shaft/prop when you do. Even better, leave the nut halfway on - the space between the nut partially threaded on and the prop will be plenty break free on the taper.

k1vsk 04-14-2009 10:39 PM

Heat and puller with mapp gas as previously noted. The only reason I reiterate it is to add this caution - make sure the nut is loosely on the shaft as, when the prop goes release, it will snap back into what/who ever is directly in it's path unless the nut is there to stop it.

sailingdog 04-14-2009 11:12 PM

Very good advice here...
Quote:

Originally Posted by k1vsk (Post 475416)
Heat and puller with mapp gas as previously noted. The only reason I reiterate it is to add this caution - make sure the nut is loosely on the shaft as, when the prop goes release, it will snap back into what/who ever is directly in it's path unless the nut is there to stop it.

thisisus 04-14-2009 11:38 PM

So regular propane torch won't heat up quick enough? Guess that gas won't mix with a regular torch head. Have to see if I can locate one and give that a try. Left the wheel puller attached with a load on it when I left the yard tonight. Maybe I'll try to hit the end first and then go for the heat next. Appreciate the ideas.

Thisisus

scottyt 04-14-2009 11:57 PM

yes mapp gas works with a standard propane head

boofus 04-15-2009 12:11 AM

If propane is all you have on hand try it, but mapp is considerably hotter

Fstbttms 04-15-2009 01:58 AM

A gear pullers is not the right tool for the job. Use a real prop puller. Tension it up, bang the hell out of it with a small sledge (the puller, not the prop!) and if the prop doesn't come loose, reposition it and try again. Pressure, persistence and patience are the keys. The prop will come off. BTW, using a torch should not be necessary.

celenoglu 04-15-2009 02:16 AM

Use a freezer spray, and use a hammer on the nut.