Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-16-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I do the same thing... but you have to remember to put a few extra turns on the furling drum so you can do this. Also, I highly recommend leaving a few wraps on the drum, since some of the drums can split if the loads get too high on it and there aren't at least a couple warps of the furling line on it.

The reason I put the sail ties on the sail is if the furling line breaks or comes loose... it prevents the sail from unfurling. It's a bit overkill for normal weather, but if I'm going to be leaving the boat for more than a few days or if heavy weather is expected, I'll do it. The sail tie will also go around the genoa sheets that are wrapped around the sail, so they can't come undone.
Yeah I make sure there is extra line on the furling drum. Ok so the sail ties are in case the lines break....make sense and I like the extra peace of mind.
Old 04-16-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Paranoia is never a bad thing when dealing with New Englad weather...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk235 View Post
Yeah I make sure there is extra line on the furling drum. Ok so the sail ties are in case the lines break....make sense and I like the extra peace of mind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2009
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
In high winds, the loads imparted to the sheets can be enough to cause a drum to unfurl if the furling line lets go or chafes through. Particularly so if they flog about. Most drums have one or more holes at the base that allow one to drop a locking pin or bolt through (tie a strip of red spinnaker cloth to the top of the bolt to remind oneself it is in place). Short of that, pulling the sheets forward and tiying them to the bottom of the sail with a couple of wraps of a sail tie will keep things tidy.

FWIW...

PS: We have used Sailcare but for simply sewing up a couple of seams and repairing a UV cover, the local North loft is sufficient and a heck of a lot faster!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 04-22-2009

montenido is on a distinguished road
Hi all, thanks for the additional information. To answer one question, I don't think that I had secured my headsail sheets back to the cabin. So the furling line was secured, but not the sheets. This must have allowed the sail to unwind a bit and flog itself to death. SD, good suggestion about the sail tie. I did actually have a bungee around the furled sail, but it was not up to the task. I will continue to wrap the sail tightly and secure the lines to the cockpit. That is more than I was doing before

I get my sail back this week sometime, I can't wait. There is quite a difference between the 110% that I am using now and the 150% that is being repaired. On the plus side, I have sailed four times in 1 1/2 weeks.

Thanks again for the great info.

Bill

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Old 04-22-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The headsail sheets should make at least two wraps around the headsail when it is properly furled. This will greatly reduce the chances of it flogging, but the sheets also have to be cleated off properly—and using a self-tailing winch is not cleating them off properly, since the wind could possibly blow the line out of the self-tailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by montenido View Post
Hi all, thanks for the additional information. To answer one question, I don't think that I had secured my headsail sheets back to the cabin. So the furling line was secured, but not the sheets. This must have allowed the sail to unwind a bit and flog itself to death. SD, good suggestion about the sail tie. I did actually have a bungee around the furled sail, but it was not up to the task. I will continue to wrap the sail tightly and secure the lines to the cockpit. That is more than I was doing before

I get my sail back this week sometime, I can't wait. There is quite a difference between the 110% that I am using now and the 150% that is being repaired. On the plus side, I have sailed four times in 1 1/2 weeks.

Thanks again for the great info.

Bill

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.