Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-16-2009

donhaller is on a distinguished road
Economy minded depth and speed instruments

I'm looking for an inexpensive route to get speed and depth data in the cockpit of my C&C 25. I don't plan on any other fancy instruments just the depth/speed mounted on the port cockpit bulkhead. I also don't plan on doing much more than day sails or an occasional overnight.

I was ready to pull the trigger on the Raymarine ST40 Bidata but from all the installation instructions I downloaded it requires two through-hulls. My boat currently has a through-hull installed for the old knot-meter which I would replace with the new paddle wheel, but I really don't want to drill another hole in the hull if I don't have to. From looking over thier product website, Raymarine does not sell a combo transducer (speed/depth) for the ST40 series instruments.

What other options might I have that is economical and requires only one hole?
Old 04-16-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
I have owned 5 sailboats between 14 and 24 feet with up to 4' draft and never had a depth finder and race on a 7' draft boat without one

I do have one on my 19' powerboat and it has allways been to little to late with the chartploter being the item that been far more usefull IMHP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2009

dgr is on a distinguished road
I'm planning on installed an ST40 and using the thru-hull transducer as an in-hull. You can search "shoot through the hull" for more info. I'd be surprised if it doesn't work. If I do run into issues, I will contact Raymarine and find out why the Airmar P79 wouldn't work for the ST40. They list the same transom transducer for the ST70/60 and the ST40 so I believe that the in-hull should work.
Old 04-16-2009
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road
Don:

You should be getting some really good input from the knowledgeable folks here in a very short time.

In the interim, we have the ST40 and have been relatively satisfied with it.

Since you only want depth and speed (presuming through the water only), do you need Bidata? I'm under the impression that's only required if you want to combine with wind speed/direction. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I thought the ST40 was at or near the end of its life span. If I'm correct, that could make servicing difficult in the future.

Have fun!!!
Paul
Old 04-16-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Don—

You can use the knot meter in the old through-hull and you can probably set the depth transducer to shoot through the hull, provided your boat doesn't have a cored hull.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-16-2009

dhornsey is on a distinguished road
I just bought a cheap sounder/transducer combo made by Uniden. Comes with thru-the-hull transducer included in the price. $105. The transducer is the same airmar one used by raymarine etc. The unit doesn't have a lot of features, just depth and a shallow water alarm, but it is economical.

Uniden Depth Sounder W/ Thru-Hull Transducer (Qt206C) The Binnacle: Your Complete Online Marine Store
Old 04-16-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
some of the black and white combo fish finder / gps only run around 300. if you hull is solid you can get away with making it a shoot thru.

its what i plan on for me
Old 04-16-2009

donhaller is on a distinguished road
Its a solid hull, cored deck.
I have read here at other times how to do this in-hull 'ducer, but I will have to go back and re-read the how to's on it.

Still up in the air what to do, and I'm really wanting to get this taken care of before the boat goes back in the water in a couple weeks.

Thanks again
Old 04-16-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
here is a hummingbird 363 for 300 bucks. it will give you water depth, speed over ground, anchor alarm IIRC, a look at the bottom, and basic chart functions. it is black and white with a 4 inch screen, while not huge it will do what you are looking for. as for the transducer you should be able to either use epoxy or a wax toliet ring to "glue" it down some where in the hull that works

after i get an auto pilot it is what i plan on getting
Old 04-16-2009
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
You can use GPS for speed - it is a lot more reliable than those little silly paddle wheels that get fouled up as soon as they hit water. That and a really old depth sounder - that's all the instruments I have. Don't really need others. Wind would be nice to play with but I hardly miss it.

Total cost of a little GPS - $50 used.