SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   registration numbers are ugly, do I really need them? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/53548-registration-numbers-ugly-do-i-really-need-them.html)

redstripesailor 04-16-2009 04:24 PM

registration numbers are ugly, do I really need them?

Do I have to register my boat if she doesn't have an engine? If I do register her is there any way I can get around having to put numbers on her bow? If I must put numbers up there is it possible to make it good looking? Any suggestions or examples would be much appreciated!

PBzeer 04-16-2009 04:27 PM

Depends on the laws within your state, or where the boat is kept. Without knowing that, it's hard to give you an answer.

LittleWingCA 04-16-2009 04:31 PM

Also depends if you register with a State or with the Coast Guard as a US Flagged Vessel. My boat is registered with the Coast Guard as a US vessel and thus doesn't have State numbers on the bow. I believe there are size and weight minimums to register with the Coast Guard, but I am not 100% sure on that.

redstripesailor 04-16-2009 04:34 PM

The boat's 28' and displaces 8,000 lbs. I'm going to keep her in Massachusetts for the summer, but I'm from North Carolina and would probably register her there.

PontchatrainSailor 04-16-2009 04:43 PM

The boat probably has to be registered with the state or would probably meet the requirements to be documented (registered with the USCG). If documented, the state can only require you to display a little sticker indicating that taxes have been paid -- and many states don't even require that.

AE28 04-16-2009 04:48 PM

Red...
I believe your boat is large enough to be documented. You can get complete details on the process from the US Coast Guard's website.
A documented boat registered in New York State does not have to display the "ugly numbers", but must have the registration gizmo properly affixed to the hull, both sides.
As always, check with your local...........
Have fun!!!
Paul

bubb2 04-16-2009 05:02 PM

Red, Try this!
North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission

redstripesailor 04-16-2009 05:06 PM

Thanks guys. It looks like I'm going to have to register or document her. So much for the no engine card.... It appears as though documenting with the USCG is the way to go because I don't need no stinkin' letters!

sailortjk1 04-16-2009 05:15 PM

I can't find a photo, but not all Registration Numbers are ugly (my opinion).
There are size and color requirements that you have to adhere to and they must be easily readable from a distance. You can have them made by a vinyl graphics dealer and they are not that expensive.

sailingdog 04-16-2009 06:10 PM

Apparently, in New Jersey, you need the ugly numbers too... :( But in NC and Mass... no state reg numbers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AE28 (Post 476197)
Red...
I believe your boat is large enough to be documented. You can get complete details on the process from the US Coast Guard's website.
A documented boat registered in New York State does not have to display the "ugly numbers", but must have the registration gizmo properly affixed to the hull, both sides.
As always, check with your local...........
Have fun!!!
Paul

Redstripeó

IIRC, if you keep the boat the boat in Mass for the summer, you'll have to pay sales tax and excise tax on it, if it is here for over 90 days.