Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-16-2009

redstripesailor is on a distinguished road
registration numbers are ugly, do I really need them?

Do I have to register my boat if she doesn't have an engine? If I do register her is there any way I can get around having to put numbers on her bow? If I must put numbers up there is it possible to make it good looking? Any suggestions or examples would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2009
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Depends on the laws within your state, or where the boat is kept. Without knowing that, it's hard to give you an answer.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-16-2009

LittleWingCA is on a distinguished road
Also depends if you register with a State or with the Coast Guard as a US Flagged Vessel. My boat is registered with the Coast Guard as a US vessel and thus doesn't have State numbers on the bow. I believe there are size and weight minimums to register with the Coast Guard, but I am not 100% sure on that.

LittleWingCA
1980 Pacific Seacraft Orion 27
Sailing Grounds: Southern California
Old 04-16-2009

The boat's 28' and displaces 8,000 lbs. I'm going to keep her in Massachusetts for the summer, but I'm from North Carolina and would probably register her there.
Old 04-16-2009

PontchatrainSailor is on a distinguished road
The boat probably has to be registered with the state or would probably meet the requirements to be documented (registered with the USCG). If documented, the state can only require you to display a little sticker indicating that taxes have been paid -- and many states don't even require that.
Old 04-16-2009
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road
Red...
I believe your boat is large enough to be documented. You can get complete details on the process from the US Coast Guard's website.
A documented boat registered in New York State does not have to display the "ugly numbers", but must have the registration gizmo properly affixed to the hull, both sides.
As always, check with your local...........
Have fun!!!
Paul
Old 04-16-2009
Banned

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Red, Try this!
North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission
Old 04-16-2009

Thanks guys. It looks like I'm going to have to register or document her. So much for the no engine card.... It appears as though documenting with the USCG is the way to go because I don't need no stinkin' letters!
Old 04-16-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
I can't find a photo, but not all Registration Numbers are ugly (my opinion).
There are size and color requirements that you have to adhere to and they must be easily readable from a distance. You can have them made by a vinyl graphics dealer and they are not that expensive.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 04-16-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Apparently, in New Jersey, you need the ugly numbers too... But in NC and Mass... no state reg numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE28 View Post
Red...
I believe your boat is large enough to be documented. You can get complete details on the process from the US Coast Guard's website.
A documented boat registered in New York State does not have to display the "ugly numbers", but must have the registration gizmo properly affixed to the hull, both sides.
As always, check with your local...........
Have fun!!!
Paul

Redstripeó

IIRC, if you keep the boat the boat in Mass for the summer, you'll have to pay sales tax and excise tax on it, if it is here for over 90 days.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.