Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-16-2009
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
WTB gaskets and bulbs for masthead?

Hi all,
This is probably going to turn out to be a dumb question, but I'll try anyway. The mast is out on our boat, and I figured I'd replace the masthead light bulb (and pick up a spare) and gasket. Also looks like there's a rubber ring/gasket for the wind machine that's dead. I have pics below--any ideas on where to get what?

First, the bulb and cork gasket for the masthead light:

Second, the rubber ring for the wind machine mount:

I appreciate any help you can provide!
-J
Old 04-16-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You should be able to get those rubber grommets at a lot of electronic supply houses... The bulb should be pretty easily available too... but I'd recommend cleaning the contacts and using a good dielectric grease when putting the new bulb in...it'll help prevent corrosion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2009
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
You should be able to get those rubber grommets at a lot of electronic supply houses... The bulb should be pretty easily available too... but I'd recommend cleaning the contacts and using a good dielectric grease when putting the new bulb in...it'll help prevent corrosion.
Thanks sailingdog. Any idea how you get the bulb out? I tried the push and rotate method, but I think I'm supposed to release it--maybe with a screwdriver on the side? Not sure if you're familiar with this fixture or not (new to me).

Also, do you think Defender would have the parts and grease? Just asking because my boat's not far from there.
Thanks!
-J
Old 04-16-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
That looks like a standard bayonet bulb fixture... chances are that the bulb isn't rotating since it may be stuck because of corrosion. PBlaster might help free the bulb.

Defender probably does have the parts...but I'd check with an electronics shop or hardware store on the grommet, dielectric grease and bulb, since they might be a good deal less expensive... and the grommet, dielectric grease and bulb probably aren't "marine".

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-16-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough

I am doing the 28 year old wire and light thing right now do you self a favor and start buying new fixtures and wire as you can afford them because i had nothing but grief with the old stuff between the voltage drop in the wire and the foggy lenses there was no way they putting out a safe amount of light

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 04-16-2009
Unpaid Intern

Sailingdog, so you think it is the push and rotate type? If it is, I don't mind working it some, just didn't want to try to force it do something it wasn't meant to do.

Tommays, I agree with your line of thinking--I'd like to replace all the lights, but the boat's 350 miles away, so I really just need to get her home first. She'll be in the water in a few days, so I need to replace any bulbs and get spares, and worry about anything else once she's conveniently located 10 minutes from my house (assuming all goes well).
Old 04-16-2009

wolfshead13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by josrulz View Post
Sailingdog, so you think it is the push and rotate type? If it is, I don't mind working it some, just didn't want to try to force it do something it wasn't meant to do.

Tommays, I agree with your line of thinking--I'd like to replace all the lights, but the boat's 350 miles away, so I really just need to get her home first. She'll be in the water in a few days, so I need to replace any bulbs and get spares, and worry about anything else once she's conveniently located 10 minutes from my house (assuming all goes well).
dont mean to but in but dog is right thats a push and rotate 1/4 turn actually - just changed my masthead bulb,same setup. Luckily for me the PO had used dialectic grease (36 yr old boat) I have no idea how long the bulb had been in there.
Old 04-16-2009
Telstar 28

Yup... Pretty sure it's a bayonet mount... just replaced one like that last season on a friend's boat.

For future reference, I do like the Aqua Signal Series 32 LED navigation lights. I like the Orca Green Marine Tri-Anchor even better...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-16-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
dont bother changing bulbs put in a led light. the standard wattage is 20 watts, or in 10 hours about 18 amp hours of battery gone. if you go led it will be closer to 1/2 amp an hour or 5 amp hours a night
Old 04-16-2009
Telstar 28

Really don't recommend this, since it is likely that the LED bulb and fixture will not be USCG certified. Currently, the only replacement LED bulb/fixture combination that is USCG certified is the Dr. LED White PolarStar 40 and the AquaSignal Series 40 anchor light.

If you get hit and you're using non-certified fixtures... the chances of getting into trouble in a civil suit is very high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt View Post
dont bother changing bulbs put in a led light. the standard wattage is 20 watts, or in 10 hours about 18 amp hours of battery gone. if you go led it will be closer to 1/2 amp an hour or 5 amp hours a night

Telstar 28
New England

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.