SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Ground wire for Raymarine autopilot (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/53554-ground-wire-raymarine-autopilot.html)

bene305 04-16-2009 09:19 PM

Ground wire for Raymarine autopilot

Hi,

I'm installing my new autopilot X5 form Raymarine. For a proper installation, it is recommended to ground the corepack to a bolt or on the negative pole of the battery.
I'd like to know what kind of wire I should use? Does a stranded copper wire, 12 AWG could be OK?

Regards,

sailingdog 04-16-2009 09:47 PM

I wouldn't ground it directly to the battery terminal, but to the 12 VDC system negative ground post or bus bar instead. Also, the distance determines what gauge wire to run. Look at the Autopilot's maximum amperage draw and base your wire size on that. :)

PBzeer 04-16-2009 09:49 PM

I'll second Dawg's suggestion, as that is what I did with my S1 AP.

chef2sail 04-17-2009 01:52 AM

I am doing the same with a new XM autopilot I am getting ready to install. Ground Bus on the panel.

Bene 305 let me know how your installation goes and any tips or insight you can offer as I will bedoing this in 3 weeks or so. First I have a new Blue Sea Panel to install followed by a new charger inverter.

Thanks,

Dave

Encre2Chine 04-17-2009 03:55 AM

Bene305 for Beneteau 30.5 ?
I will have the Raymarine rep here in Hong Kong working with me to install the X5 on my First 31.7 next Friday (24th). Will take pics and will share if you're interested :)

codmander 04-17-2009 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bene305 (Post 476316)
Hi,

I'm installing my new autopilot X5 form Raymarine. For a proper installation, it is recommended to ground the corepack to a bolt or on the negative pole of the battery.
I'd like to know what kind of wire I should use? Does a stranded copper wire, 12 AWG could be OK?

Regards,

man that welders wire is nice stuff use it for batt cables etc extra flexable more strands per inch than any wire sold at marina or auto ........ nice stuff used it in a commercial fishing boat never had to change it :cool:
Hobart Welders - Products - Accessories - Cables & Connectors

sailingdog 04-17-2009 08:51 AM

really shouldn't use welder's wire on a boat... it's not pre-tinned...

Quote:

Originally Posted by codmander (Post 476465)
man that welders wire is nice stuff use it for batt cables etc extra flexable more strands per inch than any wire sold at marina or auto ........ nice stuff used it in a commercial fishing boat never had to change it :cool:
Hobart Welders - Products - Accessories - Cables & Connectors

codmander 04-17-2009 08:58 AM

used it for years under harsh conditions liked it better than the norm flex [played a big part but ..worked great I will redo my sail with it no doubt......but each to their own i rekon

bene305 04-17-2009 08:17 PM

Hi,
I sailed a F305 for a long time....but now, I'll not install this pilot on that type of boat (the 305 I sailed had a tiller!).
But if you have good pictures, it could be great to see them....the installation should be similar!
Regards,