Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-17-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
The pickup for the manual pump should be in the lowest part of the bilge. If you have a hose running up under the shower stump, then it should serve to pump out that stump...not the best arrangement. I'd rather have the electric on the shower and the manual on the bilge...Try dumping a gallon of water into the shower and see where it ends up...

Do the PO of your boat leave the counrty or something?
Old 04-17-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

backcreeksailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post

Did the PO of your boat leave the country or something?
Let's just say the PO apparently sailed the boat, but never bothered to learn anything about the boat's systems. I did ask, but the PO said they never tried using the manual bilge pump even once in 6 years of ownership...

Anyway, I talked it over with the marina owner and he also felt that it's most likely attached to a bilge strainer that's screwed down somewhere under the shower pan. (It wouldn't make any sense for the manual pump to be connected directly to the shower drain). And the only available access to that area would be by removing the toilet and trying to get at it through the fiberglass base. But he believed as I do, that it was a bad position for the manual bilge pickup.

Not feeling the urge to disassemble a perfectly working toilet right now, I just stretched the pickup hose out as far as I could, cut it off, and the remainder retracted back into the pipe that feeds under the mast. I figure if any water comes out of it, it'll drain back into the bilge anyway.

So my electric is now in the lowest part of the bilge just behind the mast, my manual bilge strainer is now about 2' aft of the electric, and they're both working nicely.

I figure the manual pump will be more for emergencies anyway. So being at a point just slightly higher (1/2") than the electric seems like a perfectly acceptable location to me.

Last edited by backcreeksailor; 04-17-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Ha Dog...good comeback. Actually the strainer has holes the size of #9 spaghetti vrs #16 angle hair strainer or square holes like a fettucini strainer. The admiral prefers visual cues to describe things vs its correct name like a strum box. God only knows what she would check if I told her the strum box holes were clogged

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-18-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I think you need to take a look at the area below the shower sump with a good flashlight and maybe an inspection mirror...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Ha Dog...good comeback. Actually the strainer has holes the size of #9 spaghetti vrs #16 angle hair strainer or square holes like a fettucini strainer. The admiral prefers visual cues to describe things vs its correct name like a strum box. God only knows what she would check if I told her the strum box holes were clogged

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.