Well, I was hoping to be in the same situation as svHyLyte, but the spindles on mine are a tight fit, so I couldn't work them out. I tried drilling one spindle a little, but wasn't able to lift it (maybe they are upside down, though I can't fathom why!) I unbolted one winch, but couldn't get it free from the deck. Not sure if it was bedded in something permanaent, or if I wasn't trying hard enough. I didn't have anything flat like a putty knife, and I was trying to use a screwdriver. It seemed like I would crack the gel coat long before getting that winch free.
So I think I am going to go with AllThumbs advice. 'If it aint broke don't fix it' is not my favorite approach to maintanence issues, but the winches seem to be working fine... (turn smoothly, nice clicking action)... and so I think I am going to just clean and re-grease the parts that are accessible, and maybe replace them in a couple of years with a model that is more easily serviced.
Thanks to all for the tips and advice.
Western Long Island Sound