SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   outdoor cooking (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/53681-outdoor-cooking.html)

meuritt 04-20-2009 04:26 PM

outdoor cooking

bought the boat last fall as weather was cooling off. This weekend found out how uncomfortable the cabin becomes just boiling a bit of water.

There used to be a product called Seacook, a single burner, gimbaled propane stove, but it is now discontinued. Forespar has a smaller one, with a one quart pot, one review said it was too small to fit normal size cookware. and generally panned it as too small to be useful, but I've not seen one in person.

What are folks using these days to do small bits of cooking in the cockpit?

deniseO30 04-20-2009 04:40 PM

why not use a camp stove on the cabin top? just make sure it's secure and has heat protection under it. the Force 10 stove w oven in my boat is pretty warm too. great for the morning chill.. but if it's in August...

sailingdog 04-20-2009 04:47 PM

A lot of us have BBQ grills in the cockpit... they rock... I guess you could use one to heat water or as a stove, but grilling is so much better... :)

Valiente 04-21-2009 10:00 AM

I use a Coleman camp stove (the two-burner kind) with a 1-lb. Coleman gas (propane) bottle in the aft part of the cockpit on a 1/2" wooden plank I store under a cabin cushion. The plank and the stove have little no-skid patches to keep things stable, although obviously I pick mostly calm moments to cook. I have a "camp toaster" and a cast iron fry pan and simply make sure that the cockpit drains are open in case of propane leak.

Between a rail BBQ and the stove, I can do pretty complex meals. If we have shore power, a crockpot under the bimini on a folded towel works well, too.

When done, hose down the cockpit.

buckaneer 04-21-2009 10:48 AM

I grill whenever possible. As for heating water for coffee, I have a small 2 cup stainless coffee pot that I can heat on the grill. Anything larger takes too long to heat up.

ereiss 04-21-2009 11:43 AM

Might have found the stove

I was going through the Wickford Marine Consignment store
and saw many of the stove which I think you were describing. You might want to give them a call if this is the solution you are going toward.
Marine Consignment of Wickford

7725 Post Road
N. Kingstown, RI 02582

Mon-Sat: 9-4
Closed Sundays
Phone: 401-295-9709
Fax: 401-295-2566
email: marinecon@verizon.net

Hope this helps.

Ed Reiss
Being There
Freedom 38 #154
out of Jamestown, RI

JimMcGee 04-21-2009 04:21 PM

Magma grill on the rail, have used it underway for all kinds of meals. Even used it as an oven to cook frozen pizza.

If you can't rail mount I picked up a Kuuma portable stainless grill at West this weekend for $79 ($100 off). It seems well made and uses the same propane canisters as the Magma. We're going to use it for cooking on the picnic tables at the marina.

GraemeInCanada 04-21-2009 04:54 PM

I just picked up a Fold 'n Go Grill with Grate, from Coleman:

http://www.colemancanada.ca/Catalog/...ip.en.products

Third product down. Seems well built and simple to clean. Has a grill and a stove top grate. I like the idea of a BBQ, but it's nice to be able to haul it to shore and cook there too I think.

imagine2frolic 04-21-2009 05:46 PM

In San Rafeal it shouldn't be that hot to cause discomfort. Sounds like a lack of good ventilation. Get a windscoop for a hatch, or maybe 2?......i2f

mahana27 04-22-2009 12:45 AM

I use a Magma rail mounted propane grill in the cockpit. Indoors the "cook" uses a portable two-burner alcohol stove from Origo. It's similar to the Coleman in size. We always open a hatch when cooking the cabin, just to keep it comfortable.